1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any return incentives out there?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by lgb0250, Jul 31, 2011.

Tags:
  1. lgb0250

lgb0250 Legend

Jan 24, 2010
    Was with E* for several years and then went with D* about 18 months ago. Still have six months left on my contract with D* and was wondering if E* offers any incentives to get customers back? Thanks.

2. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Essentially you can get whatever the new customer deal is.

Check Dish's website

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Unless your credit score has improved dramatically in the ensuing time, they'll likely treat you much the same as they did before.

It varies for everyone so only DISH Network can tell you how they will treat you.

4. lgb0250

lgb0250 Legend

Jan 24, 2010
    Thanks. They said since I had been gone over 3 months I would be eligible for whatever new customers are eligible for. Now I just have to decide if it's worth $120 to cancel D* now or just wait until my contract expires.

Another question if you don't mind. Last time I had E* I remember I had bought a second 622. I sold it after canceling my service. Is it better to buy a second HDDVR or get one from E* now? I remember there was some reason I didn't want the 722. I think it was because of my OTA's with the 622? Again, thanks.

5. MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 18, 2011
    Hi, there is really no advantage to purchasing equipment since the receiver fees for purchased and leased equipment is the same. So there will most likely be less upfront costs if you go with leased. OTA's are pretty much the same on the 622 vs 722, only the k model would change that. The 722 is the newer model and it does have a bigger hard drive. Also if you are interested in the Sling technology you would need a 722. I will send this link for you to look over. http://www.dishnetwork.com/redirects/promotion/freetveverywhere/default.aspx

6. lgb0250

lgb0250 Legend

Jan 24, 2010
    Thanks Mary. For some reason I think when I first got my E* service the charge for a 2nd 622 was like $199 and that's probably why most of us were purchasing our own.

Is there still a fee to enable an external HD?

7. MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 18, 2011
    You are welcome! Just to let you know, the second HD DUO DVR will be a $99.00 upgrade fee. There is no fee to enable an END on any VIP DVR. We do charge a one time $40.00 fee to convert a211, 211k, 411 receiver to a DVR using the EHD.

8. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Re: owning vs leasing...

There's really only 2 compelling reasons to own rather than lease:

1. Owning allows you to sign up without a commitment if you choose to pay for your install. Depending on your situation, there are some who would rather pay for the install and have no commitment.

2. In the event that you need more receivers than Dish will lease to you (there is a limit) then you have to buy additional receivers after that point.

9. Aug 1, 2011 #9 of 12
    kpaustin

kpaustin AllStar

Jul 18, 2007
    And here is another reason not to buy a Dish receiver...I had to cancel our Dish account recently because we are moving to a temporary location while our new home is being built. I had purchased one 622 (4 years ago) to go with my other leased 622, and sent the 211 (I think that was the model) back that Dish had initially sent me. The purchased 622 subscribed and worked fine (I had checked the serial numbers with Dish before buying, and the seller was a Dish network rep) for almost a year when it started having hard drive problems. I was on Dish Home Protection at the time, and did a chat with a Tech support rep who confirmed the HD issue and said they would replace the unit. I told him it was a purchased unit and he said that's ok, we'll replace it. It was replaced, and I had no trouble with it until I had to cancel Dish last week. The Dish rep informed me that I have two leased receivers on my account and that I have to return both. I questioned this, and she said "owned receivers become leased receivers when they are replaced." That doesn't seem right to me, but there are a lot of things going on right now and I'm not going to fight it. I signed up for Uverse at the rent home and in 6 months I'll decide who to call at the new home, taking into account 1) Dish removed an international channel on me and did not provide a promised rebate I had negotiated with a senior CSR and 2) they are taking back what should be a warranty replaced owned receiver. Now, I really like Dish, and I've had OTA, C/Ku band, Time Warner, DirecTv, and now Uverse to compare against. But they are making it really difficult for me to recommend them or return when the time comes. I'm not really griping here, just stating facts that other people should consider when deciding "ownership vs. leasing" of Dish receivers. Your mileage may vary and good luck to you.

10. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    3. Assuming you have multiple receivers, you can activate/deactivate the purchased one when ever you like and only pay for when you use it. Ive run into quite a few customers who have some handy for there guest rooms or for when there kids come home from college. You cant do this with leased receivers since as soon as we deactivate them, dish wants them back :(

@Kpaustin, why didnt you just go on dish pause? It lasts for 6 months, brings the bill down to 5$ and dont have to return anything.

11. lgb0250

lgb0250 Legend

Jan 24, 2010
    Thanks for everyones reply. Now I remember that when DISH first introduced the 622 they were only allowing one per account due to an initial low inventory of them. Then they were letting people order them and I believe charge $199 for a leased 622. Was more cost effective to buy a second one than lease it. I see things have changed for the better which is a very welcomed surprise. I also remember paying to have EHD service enabled and now that is free also. Looking forward to getting back. Unfortunately I've still got a little over five months left on my 24mo contract with D*. Again, thanks everyone.

12. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    How much longer will the free Sling adapter offer last?