1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any solution to my Grandpa's blackout problem?

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by Jon Ellis, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis Godfather

Dec 28, 2003
    My grandparents have a cabin in Burnett County, Wisconsin. Being from Minnesota, Grandpa loves to watch the Twins on FSN, but they're blacked out on DirecTV because the cabin is in Wisconsin. The Brewers are shown on an alternate channel, but he has no interest in watching the Brewers unless they're playing the Twins. Now that the Twins have dumped the Sunday games on WFTC, there will be even fewer games available this year.

Any way around this problem? I would consider taking up a collection among the family to pay for MLB EI, but I suspect the Twins would still be blacked out...

2. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    I recommend checking the directv website to see what teams/ rsn's would be blacked out. Just to make sure

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Tell him to stop drinking.

4. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Major League Baseball drives all TV game blackout rules, not DirecTV.

DirecTV just abides by those rules. It's the same for most other major sports.

He should call his local stations and ask them how they are implementing those rules.

5. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    You wll want to contact DirecTV directly, but using the zip code for the county seat, you are in only Brewers territory.

6. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    DirecTV can't change the blackout rules.

7. koji68

koji68 Icon

Jun 21, 2004
    With MLB EI you can watch any team that is out of market without being blacked out.

8. Pete K.

Pete K. Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    That's what I would suggest. Get MLB EI for the cabin. Problem solved.

9. Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis Godfather

Dec 28, 2003
    OK, thanks! I see they have a free preview coming up. We suspend service for the winter, but maybe I'll restart it a few weeks early this year to make sure the Twins games are in the clear before paying the money.