1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any stories where your surge suppressor worked?

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by flexoffset, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flexoffset

flexoffset Godfather

Jul 16, 2007
    I have Panamax surge protectors for my power plug and phone line for my H20 and HR20 (and TVs and DVD Players and so on.)

We're in a stormy area of the country and I've always unplugged my equipment during really bad weather.

These Panamax units I bought are the first 'real' surge suppressors I've owned.
    Do these things really work? I don't yet trust them.
    If these things are trashed during a lightning strike and I'm away from home will the equipment still be safe if lighting were to strike again before I get home to unplug the fried surge suppressor?

I'd love to hear some first hand accounts if you have time.
    Many thanks in advance.

2. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Surge protectors, even good ones, generally won't do much for a direct hit on a power/phone line close to or attached to your house. I have had them, two occassions, get smoked as well as everything attached to them. One company did pay for a small amount of the repair after alot of phone calls and letters. Good ones will handle "surge", lightning is not surge. My home owners insurance was more helpfull.

3. aim2pls

aim2pls Icon

Jun 18, 2007
    most (under 100.00) surge protectors are MOV based:

1) lightning is faster than a MOV (Metallic oxide varisistor) and they do NOT respond in less than 5 nano's (if memory serves me it's approx 150 milliseconds)

2) GE specs (a major producer of MOVs) give them a one year shelf life

3) every time a MOV takes a hit it loses some of its potential

4) after one year you have a power strip

any product stating less than ONE nanosecond response time .. be leary .. currrent technology can only measure down to 5

best surge protectors are SASD (silicon avalanche (sp?) suppressing diodes) .. expect to pay over 300.00 for one

4. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Ideally, if they work, we never know it.

5. steelhorse

steelhorse Legend

Apr 27, 2004
    My electric company put a whole house surge protector on at the meter. They cover up to 25k of damage with no deductable nor do they spec out only certain items they will cover.

6. flexoffset

flexoffset Godfather

Jul 16, 2007
    Thanks for the good information.
    I may be tossing these Panamax suppressors onto eBay before long.

I always thought the supressor would flash a light to indicate a surge was suppressed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.