1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Any thoughts on HR20 CPR?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by thumperr, Dec 20, 2013.

1. thumperr

thumperr Godfather

Feb 10, 2006
    [SIZE=medium]I’ve had 2 HR20-700s die in the last 2 months. The First one died in October and I did the upgrade path to an HR34. That box, my cats slept on and was full of hair so I understand why. The 2nd[/SIZE] unit was clean inside and had been in a well ventilate protect location. the wild thing is they were bought about 2 months apart in 2006. i bought the first HR20-700 the month it was released.

[SIZE=medium]The symptom I get, plug in power, hear the hard drive spin. The blue power light comes on dimly, and the blue ring never starts to spin. Never get signal from HDMI either.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]Any thoughts on jump starting the HR20 with these symptoms?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Thanks,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]Paul[/SIZE]

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I'd hook up an external drive before calling it quits on any box.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Naah, no external. straight replacement. if the box is "broken" why keep playing with it

4. thumperr

thumperr Godfather

Feb 10, 2006
    A couple a reason to keep it if it was repairable

Has ota tuners without having to add an extra device. Am21
    Save 200 from buying a replacement

5. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    They won't charge for a replacement.

6. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Call D* and get a replacement... but are they still sending out HR20s?

7. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    HR20s are no longer asked to be returned which makes it available to pop open and replace the drive. However, though the HR20 is still kept current in firmware for the present, there may come a day in the not too distant future where that will end. I have several i have pulled out of service and I considered a drive replacement but I suspect their tenure is nearing an end so i have abandoned that thinking.

If you are not planning on going 3D and are happy with the units as they were, perhaps a drive replace is in order. I would also consider a power supply replacement. But these units run HOT and have top venting. Subsequent models ran cooler and have side venting and can be nice places for cats on top:)

Essentially this model is a dead end but it may be fine for your current and future needs.

Don "if like to tinker. . . Otherwise just replace and you could still tinker" Bolton

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Agreed, that's not a symptom of a bad HDD. Well, not a normal symptom.

Rich