1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any tips to get MediaShare to work?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by gahenry, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Nov 8, 2008 #1 of 24
    gahenry

gahenry New Member

Jan 9, 2008
    All:

I have stored all of my ripped CD's and my pictures on my HP MediaSmart Homeserver and I would like to be able to play my music and show my pictures.

Note: I have never been able to get this to work reliably even when my music and Pictures were on my Vista Ulitmate box (ViiV is not campatible with my machine). The symptoms are the same...

If I go to Menu -> Music, Photos and more... I can see my Vista Ultimate box and my HomeServer.

Anyone have any tricks or tips to make this work ??

I can navigate to the music and I can play some music but some titles have an "X" to the left of a LOT of the Music. WHat does that mean and why?

I see some thumnails of some pictures but not all of them and I do not see my folders that hold my pictures Is thre a trick here??

DTV says you need ViiV? WHat in the world is it? Why?

How do you create playlists for Music and pictures?... scrolling around the screen with the DTV remote is real painful

Any tips trick or words of advise would be really helpful!!!!

Gary

2. Nov 9, 2008 #2 of 24
    bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    The HR2x will only play music in the LPCM format. Most media servers will automatically convert unencrypted MP3 files to this. Other formats must be transcoded or an "X" will be displayed, indicating that the files are unplayable

Viiv is an Intel media player application which requires special chips that are only contained in Viiv-compliant computers. Directv only supports this technology, but there are several media players which do not require it (e.g., WMP11, Tversity, Orb for Windows; EyeConnect for OS X; MediaTomb for Linux)

Check the various threads in this forum. There is a lot of information here.

3. Nov 9, 2008 #3 of 24
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    You may have a "rights issue" for the songs that have an x next to them.

Media share will play all the music that I have that was burned directly from the CD to my hard drive, but music that I have downloaded with my subscription to the Zune Marketplace will not play, even though I technically have the "rights" to use the music.. for example, my XBox 360 recognizes those rights and I can play the music through that as a media share device.

4. Dec 6, 2008 #4 of 24
    redrocker

redrocker AllStar

Jan 3, 2007
    i can't get media share to work eigther. I have XP, D* mediashare enabled in wmp11 and nothing when i open the menu on HR20700. dtv2pc works fine though. what am I missing?

5. Dec 6, 2008 #5 of 24
    mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    I also have had issues trying to get MediaShare to work consistently. I currently have it working on an HR21-700, but my HR20-700 (which used to work) no longer does work.

We must remember, MediaShare is a beta product, not a finished product. Sometimes, it just won't work.

6. Dec 6, 2008 #6 of 24
    redrocker

redrocker AllStar

Jan 3, 2007
    i just got home and hit the menu button and BLAM! There is Mediashare. I guess it just takes time for some reason to show up, maybe it's because I have about 20 gigs worth of music? Anyway, it works and this rocks!

7. Feb 1, 2009 #7 of 24
    HfreaknD

HfreaknD Mentor

Jan 13, 2008
    Just enabled MediaShare. It will play .wma files, but it won't play .wav files. I am interested in playing lossless codec files only (wma and mp3 sound terrible). I have searched through the MediaShare threads and it sounds like .wav files are supported and should play. Any suggestions?

8. Feb 1, 2009 #8 of 24
    bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Do the files have a musical note or an X shown?

9. Feb 1, 2009 #9 of 24
    HfreaknD

HfreaknD Mentor

Jan 13, 2008
    They have a musical note.

10. boilerjt

boilerjt Icon

Jan 11, 2007
    On a somewhat technical comment, the HR2x expects .wav files to have a mimetype of audio/wav, which is not the most popular mimetype (audio-x-wav). TVersity and MediaTomb are the only servers I know of that can use audio/wav.

11. boilerjt

boilerjt Icon

Jan 11, 2007
    Hmmm... if you have a musical note, the server is sending a valid mimetype. Which media server are you using?

12. HfreaknD

HfreaknD Mentor

Jan 13, 2008
    Not sure what you are asking. I am running XP with WMP 11.

13. bhelton71

bhelton71 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '09

Mar 7, 2007
    You might try re-registering a couple of dlls

regsvr32 quartz.dll
    regsvr32 wmnetmgr.dll

On an aside and just out of curiosity - if you are interested in lossless formats why not FLAC ? It uses anywhere between 30-50% less space and more importantly you get real tag support ( I know you can use RIFF chunks but hardly anything supports them ).

14. HfreaknD

HfreaknD Mentor

Jan 13, 2008
    Thanks. I actually started using FLAC and have downloaded a patch to WMP 11 to allow it to play FLAC files. It works great, but, as far as I know, MediaShare does not support FLAC. Is there any chance that D* will support FLAC?

15. bhelton71

bhelton71 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '09

Mar 7, 2007
    Doubt DirecTV will ever decode flac - they show no sign of ever using the other formats the chipsets support natively.

I could be mistaken on this - I thought anything WMP could decode using DShow it would stream as wav ?

16. HfreaknD

HfreaknD Mentor

Jan 13, 2008
    Using your HR2x to network into your audio and video files is a great idea, as long it is done right (IMO). I am a person who enjoys high fidelity (Klipsch reference series speaker system) and great HD picture quality (that's why I'm with D*). If audio music cannot be played in true hifi (lossless format), then it is not useful to me. I already have an ipod that has all of my music on it, but I don't use it in my hifi system because the sound is sub-par. I don't mean to sound negative, I just won't use low fidelity media.

Thanks for your response. I'll check back periodically for any future D* audio upgrades (preferably FLAC).

17. HfreaknD

HfreaknD Mentor

Jan 13, 2008
    I thought I would follow up on my last comment. After writing the above, I was poking around in WMP tools and noticed that they have a codec they call Windows Media Audio Lossless. They sell this a "mathematically lossless". I tried it and it plays through my HR2x, and, it actually sounds very good.

They say it uses "206 to 411 MB per CD" verses 600 MB per CD recorded in WAV.

I'd be interested in hearing from others who have tried WMA and how they think it sounds.

18. boilerjt

boilerjt Icon

Jan 11, 2007
    Actually, MediaShare doesn't natively play this format. WMP transcodes it to LPCM "behind the scenes" and streams it to the HR2x. The HR2x only knows how to play LPCM and WAV (which is essentially LPCM with a header).

Since the original file was in a "lossless" format, it will definitely sound better :)

19. HfreaknD

HfreaknD Mentor

Jan 13, 2008
    If it sounds good, I'll use it.

I am hoping D* will make some improvements to the UI. For one, once you are playing a track, the on-screen control times out. You can get it back by pressing the green button, but you can only pause, stop or forward to next track. You cannot access the main music menu without starting all over. I'ts a long way back into the main music menu (as many as 10 actions on the remote). It would be nice to have a button (one action) to get back to the main music menu. Just a suggestion to make it a little more user freindly.

20. boilerjt

boilerjt Icon

Jan 11, 2007
    Normally, the left button will take you back to your last MediaShare screen.