1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any tivo stand alone work with Directtv?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Aurelien, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurelien

Aurelien AllStar

Sep 17, 2006
    I want to get the new HD channels, but I like my Directtv Tivo. Does any stand alone Tivo work with Directtv and would work with the tivo box that support all the new HD channels?

2. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    You could absolutely use a stand-alone tivo, if you can find one that supports MPEG-4 HD.

You would place it between your H20 and TV.
    Or, use an HDMI cable to your TV and component cables to the TiVo?

3. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    As CJTE said, you can certainly hook your H20 or H21 to a stand-alone TiVo and run the signal in using the component connections. The TiVo will do the channel changes, etc. It just won't be able to record the HD channels in HD.

4. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    Atleast, not the MPEG-4's...

Which hopefully will change, someday (soon, for the tivo die hards), but google was unable to avail any information at this time.

5. videojanitor

videojanitor DBSTalk Club Member

Oct 8, 2006
    As far as I know, there is no TiVo with component video inputs -- S-Video is the best you can do, so you're going to be limited to recording in 480i. I don't believe that either the of the standalone high-def TiVos (Series 3, or TiVo HD) has video inputs of ANY kind. They're strictly cable or antenna.

6. captain_video

captain_video Icon

Nov 21, 2005
    If you want to record in Hi-Def then the answer is no. The current HR10-250 HDTivo can only record from the limited number of mpeg2 HD channels from DTV and they will eventually disappear, probably sometime in 2008. Standalone Tivos can only record in HD if you have digital cable or FIOS. The DirecTV Tivos can only record from DirecTV, and with the exception of the few mpeg2 HD channels being offered, they will only record standard definition programming. If you want to record the new mpeg4 HD channels in HD then your only option is to go with the HR20-700 HD-DVR from DirecTV.

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Or, to be more concise, No.

There is simply not an HD-MPEG4 -> TiVo solution. End of story.

8. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2006
    I dunno why, but that last sentence was kinda of creepy funny.

~official sounding announcer voice~ I am sorry, but Google is unable to give any information regarding ....."

9. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Godfather

Sep 10, 2007
    You're also out of luck if your cable companies do not use CableCards. The standalone HD TiVos do not work with any set-top box, cable or satellite.

10. gully_foyle

gully_foyle Hall Of Fame

Jan 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    AFAIK, cable companies are breaking the law if they don't work with cable cards.

11. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    Can we change that to "mostly out of luck?" They will take SD and Quam without the cards. :D

12. bdwill

bdwill Mentor

Jun 26, 2007
    I recently got an HR20-700 for the outrageous price of $22 :D and I have been using a D10-300 with my Series 2 Tivo. I tried to connect the H20 to the Tivo and it wouldn't change channels.

While romping around the tivocommunity.com forum I found that the Tivo Series 2 does not support channel changing on the H20. :(

Guess I'll send the H20 back.

13. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    The smaller cable cos are not compelled to offer cable cards and some cable cos force you to buy them outright.

14. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Godfather

Sep 10, 2007
    News to me. I've got a standalone series 2 TiVo hooked up to an H20 in my living room. Changes channels just fine with the IR thingy.

15. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    This is not true .. MPEG-4 is irrelevant if a Standalone TiVo is being used with an H20. The H20 should down convert the new HD channels to SD on the Composite outputs which I believe can be utilized by the regular standalone TiVo .. It won't, of course be in HD, but it will be viewable.

I'm not sure if TiVo or anyone makes a standalone receiver that can take the digital HD Analog signal (component) or HD Digital Signal (HDMI) and store that to HDD. It would require some hefty computing power to encode it in real time and likely be quite costly.

The only integrated HD DVR for DIRECTV is the HR20 and just this week the HR21 was announced.

16. captain_video

captain_video Icon

Nov 21, 2005
    I don't believe any cableco will sell you a cablecard. First of all, they're proprietary devices and second, direct sales net them less profit than leasing them. Smaller cablecos may be exempt from providing them but you have to lease them if they're made available.

17. Chip Moody

Chip Moody Legend

Jul 31, 2007
    You romped around the wrong threads then. I've got my Series 2 SA changing channels on my H20 with a USB-232 adapter from these folks: http://www.patersontech.com/products/usbtvtranslator.aspx

- Chip

18. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    All I know is what I've seen posted on TCF after the S3 was released. Customers have the option of outright buying a cable box, you pay through the nose of course, so I don't see why they'd begrudge a customer buying a cable card.

19. ShawnL25

ShawnL25 Icon

Mar 2, 2007
    the first gen H20 work just fine with the H20 for the 2nd batch RCA I think you have to point the IR blaster backwards for it to work

20. hoboken

hoboken Cool Member

Jan 20, 2007
    Please forgive this dumb question - If I purchase a tivo series two or three and place it between the h20 and my hdtv, can I record shows, and if it works, do you have to subscribe to another service to get it to work. any info appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.