1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any tv converter box with component out that i can use dtransmision coupon on?

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by bestivo, Mar 30, 2009.

1. bestivo

bestivo Cool Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Short version:
    I have a tv converter box coupon and want to get a tuner box with component out to feed a HDTV without a tuner. Any ideas?

Long version:
    My parents have a HDTV (without a tuner) and an old NTSC tv in the bedroom. The HDTV is hooked up to a dish receiver (vip211) and it doesn't have a tunner. My parents want to drop the dish payment and just watch locals. They have 2 TV converter box coupons. I am looking to use one of the coupons to buy a tuner box for the hdtv but all the ones that I look at have only RCA outputs. Do you guys know any with component out (so I can pass hd signal to the hdtv).

Also any recommendations on the regular converter boxes for their bedroom NTSC tv?

Thank you

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC

If you're talking about the convertor boxes that you can get the coupons for - absolutely none of them will have component video output - the inclusion of that or HDMI or TOSLINK/ Digital audio coax outputs makes a device ineligible for the coupons. S-Video output IS allowed, but it is not on very many CECBs.

There are HDTV tuners available (although it is a small and growing smaller) market for some boxes that do exceed the CECB specs - probably one of the better known and recommended units is the Samsung DTB-H260F. Check this forum for more options - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=6 . If you can't find an HDTV tuner, You could use a CECB to their HDTV - but of course, it will only be SD and not HDTV.

For the bedroom TV - for basic viewing - they are all pretty much about the same. Get whatever is available and use your coupon. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=186

3. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    I'm not sure that HD tuners are made any more. There was a market when HD-ready TVs (read monitors) were produced, but now all TVs must have tuners - no more monitors.

You'll likely do best at finding a used stand-alone HD tuner on eBay.

4. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I'm not sure that they were not allowed any more, but the cost of ATSC tuners has come down dramatically so as to make the idea of selling a "HDTV monitor only without tuner" is kind of silly now.

As I said - it's a small and growing smaller market. You may well be right that ebay / craigslist / other private sales sites are his best options.

5. wd8kct

wd8kct New Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Centronics ZAT 502 HD Terrestrial Digital ATSC Receiver (Summit Source):
    http://bit.ly/2lzn29
    not eligible for coupon...

6. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Converter boxes are made to convert a digital signal to an analog signal. That is not what you need.

7. bestivo

bestivo Cool Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Thank you all. I was thinking that was the case but wasn't sure.

8. jerry downing

jerry downing Godfather

Mar 7, 2004
    Illinois
    There are DVD recorders with component output.

9. jerry downing

jerry downing Godfather

Mar 7, 2004
    Illinois
    There are DVD recorders with component output but you can not use a coupon for them.