1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any way possible to disable the searching for signal message to use On Demand Service

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by J Blow, Sep 29, 2010.

1. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    I think the title lays out my question. The background is that I have moved into an apartment that will not let me install the dish and, of course, I have already paid for the football package so I didn't want to discontinue my services (or even suspend them so I can watch the games online at the very least). In the mean time, I started wondering if I could still use the Video on Demand feature so I hooked up my receiver. Of course I can't go anywhere on the menu because it's constantly looking for a signal.

There simply has to be a workaround, correct? As a google pro, I'm having no luck finding any answers.

Thanks.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I'm not aware of any way to do that. These things are pretty much boat anchors when there's no satellite feed.

3. Codfishjoe

Codfishjoe AllStar

Sep 2, 2010
    well...you could press list to access recordings...possibly just try to tune to channel 1000 or 1100 to access the on demand content. worth a shot.

4. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Are they saying no completely to installing the dish or just not installing it in a common use area? If you put it on a porch, patio, balcony or other "exclusive use area"...they can't restrict you.

www.DIRECTV.com/FCC

5. snowtrooper1966

snowtrooper1966 Cool Member

May 15, 2010
    I was able to force playback of recorded programming on a HR22 using the list button when a disconnected unit was searching for signal, but NOT with same receiver that was connected when service was shut off due to late payment for roomates system....

6. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    Thanks for the reponses, guys. I think this confirms what I suspected - it's just a no go. After I thought more about this I think it' actually needs the satellite feed to access the guide information in order to see what information I am able to download...if that makes sense.

As far as setting up a dish, it's hard to explain but trust me when I say there is NOWHERE that I can obtain a signal. My apartment is on the lower level of a two story building which runs North and South with me being right in the middle. It has no decks and the only area that I have that's even close to being called a 'private area' doesn't have a southerly view. Ya, this totally sucks but I was in a tight spot in looking for a place. Come March I'm gone for sure!

7. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Also note that without the satellite signal, you'd have no guide data, including VOD. So you wouldn't be able to select a program to download.

And the question I have is why did you move to that apartment? :D

8. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    Yes, the answer to this hit me in the post above yours and I agree 100%.

As far as to why, it was my best option. I took a new job and had a temporary residence for two weeks while looking for another place. I still own two houses in other places so needed to buy some time. I had 1 day left to find a place to live in a place that has very few options during this time of year. I've got a 9 month lease so hopefully by then I'll have a better option...or a couple fewer houses.

I now have a plan for Sundays if nothing else....I will mount the dish in the back of my pickup for the NFL games. Pictures to follow! :D

9. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    By the way, I'd too echo that it's not hard to watch prerecorded programs on units with no sat signal.