1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Any way to connect Hopper to EHD that is connected to router?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by fudpucker, Apr 17, 2013.

1. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    I assume the answer is no, but it would be cool if there was a way to do this:

I have a new router, and one of the features is that you can connect a USB hard drive to the router, and then any computer connected wirelessly to the router can also access the HD. Is there any clever way to get the Hopper to recognize and use an EHD through the router?

2. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    While I believe the answer is NO, itwould be a nice feature . The only thing you'd gain is use of another USB port on the Hopper. The Hopper would still be the only device that could read the EHD due to proprietary encoding of the video data.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    No.

Once connected to a router, a USB HD becomes a NAS. The Hopper demands exclusive control at the hardware level and a NAS cannot provide that.

4. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Wait, I think I am asking a question in more ignorance than I realized! If I have an EHD hooked up to a Hopper, can my other Hopper and Joey also access that EHD? I.e. accessing it while it is still connected to the original Hopper? If so - yeah, not a lot of gain (don't have the Hopper set-up yet.)

5. TheGrove

TheGrove AllStar

Jan 9, 2007
    Ignoring the Joey, the EHD is only accessable from the hopper it is connected to. So if you have a hopper in the living room and the bedroom and the EHD is on the living room hopper only the living room hopper will be able to access it, not the bedroom hopper.

Now the joey, joey's are connected to a specific hopper. I can't remember (as my joey is in my sisters room not mine) if the joey can view the EHD of the hopper it is connected to. If the joey can access the EHD then you could always switch the joey between hoppers to access the EHD when you want to.

6. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    Joey, yes (if it's linked to the Hopper with the EHD). Other Hopper, no. I don't see why Dish could not make it so the Hoppers could see each others EHD. Hopefully we'll gain that ability in a future software release.

7. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Also, DISH Anywhere can see the EHD.

8. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    Not on the Iphone app, unfortunately.

9. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    If you have an EHD connected to 1 Hopper, it is accessible from the other receivers connected to MoCA. You can see the EHD on the drop down list for the receiver from the main DVR screen. Thanks.

10. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Minor correction... Joeys can access the EHD of a Hopper they are linked to... but another Hopper cannot access an EHD that is not directly connected to it...

11. 3HaloODST

3HaloODST Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    Hopper can access NAS devices thru DLNA.

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    It would be different story .. because you can't transfer events from EHD to NAS :(