1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any way to get SD channels to look better?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by DomLando, Jun 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DomLando

DomLando Cool Member

Apr 2, 2007
    I have a 60 inch Sony. With my H20 the 480i channels look pretty bad. Some worse than others. When I had cable these channels looked significantly better. Is there any settings I can mess with or anything I can do to get these channels to look better?

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Please give us some more information. Connection type, display format on TV and HR20.

3. DomLando

DomLando Cool Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Connection type is by HDMI. But I tried both that and Component. My tv supports all resolutions. I tried displaying it in 480i and p doesn't seem to make a difference.

4. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    A bad source really looks bad the bigger it gets....The best sollution I have found is pillar-box and soften your "sharpness" setting. There even is alot of variation among 480i channels, some are not bad at all and others are pathetic. YMMV

5. edmartin

edmartin Legend

Nov 15, 2006
    I have a Sony, too (smaller... see my sig line) and also moved from cable to D* (in November). It took me quite a while to get SD to look acceptable. Obviously, SD is not going to look as good as HD but like you, I just wanted it to look as good as it did on the old cable.

While I did play with the sharpness on the TV a bit, the magic for me ended up being HDMI, native on and all resolutions (obviously, 480i in this case) turned on on the HR20.

Every once in a while, I end up playing around with component and/or native off - and it still looks far inferior (for me) than HDMI & native on - even after multiple software updates from D* since November.

6. BobV

BobV Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    There is calibration software that you can use for your TV and Sound system.
    The one that I use is Avia.
    If you have your equipment calibrated, it will make a magor differants!!!

7. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    If your sharpness is not already set to 0, do so.

You can also try using S-video for SD only, as I have sometimes seen an improvement when doing that for SD.

The biggest problem is source quality...you can' t make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.:)

For that reason, I almost never watch an SD channel except for news. (MSNBC/CNN/Link-TV, etc.)

...and yes, some SD channels at times are better than others, they are all poor on a big display, but some are downright terrible.

8. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Your viewing distance will make a HUGE differenct as well. Like mom always said, don't sit so close to the TV. :grin:

Been to far to many houses where people complain overall about the picture quality. I look at their system, they are siting so close to the tv that you can see the "window screen" on the jumbotron plasma.

9. BobV

BobV Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    Mybe thats why I cann't see like I use to.:lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.