1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Any way to lower my bill?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by mr_mark95, Mar 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Mar 9, 2011 #1 of 33
    mr_mark95

mr_mark95 Cool Member

Jan 3, 2008
    I am frustrated with by bill increases over the last year. I am probably switching to DTV. I like Dish but can not continue to pay this amount. Any suggestions?

I have three VIP 722s.

America's Everything Pak $104.99
    HD 250 $10.00
    HD Duo (2TV) DVR Receiver $17.00
    DVR Service $6.00
    Service Plan (15) $6.00
    HD Duo (2TV) DVR Receiver $17.00
    Dish Platinum $10.00

Monthly Charges $170.99

2. Mar 9, 2011 #2 of 33
    tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    I suggest switching to Direct TV. They don't raise their rates and always cost less than dish. :sure:

3. Mar 9, 2011 #3 of 33
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    It really doesn't matter which provider you go with - given the level of programming you're taking, after new sub deal is over, they'll all be expensive.

If you want to reduce your bill - reduce your programming and the number of receivers on your account.

4. Mar 9, 2011 #4 of 33
    gtal98

gtal98 Godfather

Jan 30, 2011
    There are multiple ways to lower your bill - the 2 that jump out at me are you're paying $10 for HD which you can get for free (if you sign a new 2-year commitment, or pay a one-time $99 fee). You're also paying $10 for HD Platinum - do you watch any of these channels? Most people don't. Also, if you're confident you won't have problems with your installation or equipment you could remove the $6 Service Plan fee - but be prepared for a $95 service call fee if something goes wrong.

Beyond that, I'm assuming you're a movie lover if you're paying for the Everything Pak - if not, then drop down to the Top 200 or 250.

After that it's hardware changes - do you need DVR on all 6 TV's? Do you need 6 separate TV channels? Basically you can get one Duo DVR for free, after that it's $7/month per room, and an additional $3/month for each DVR receiver (not room).

5. Mar 9, 2011 #5 of 33
    domingos35

domingos35 Icon

Jan 11, 2006
    exchange 2 of the 722's for 2 211's and attach EHD to both turning them into DVR'S without the DVR fees ;)

6. Mar 9, 2011 #6 of 33
    NickF DISH

NickF DISH Guest

Dec 28, 2010
    You are paying $10 for HD which we now offer for free like gtal98 mentioned which would be one option. If you would like to PM me your account number I can see what all is available.

7. Mar 9, 2011 #7 of 33
    Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    :thats::lol:;)

8. Mar 9, 2011 #8 of 33
    Orion9

Orion9 Legend

Jan 31, 2011
    We're paying Dish about $50/mo without any promotions, so yes, it's very possible to lower your bill. You just need to choose what you really want/need.

9. Mar 9, 2011 #9 of 33
    inazsully

inazsully Icon

Oct 3, 2006
    If you can cancel with no penalty then drop the $6 maint fee. If something breaks just tell "E" to fix it you'll switch to "D". They'll set you up at no cost and at a lower rate for the first year.

10. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Cut programming back or cut down on the number of receivers....those are the options.

11. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I'm going to assume you're serious about saving.

As noted on your bill, you pay $17 a piece for two of them. You could save $7 a piece ($14 a month) just by going to two 612's which may be able to do everything you need.

This combination is costing you $125 a month. And by getting "everything" you miss opportunities to get savings like 3 months of a free premium.

If you changed to AT200 and a couple of premiums, plus getting the HD charge removed as mentioned by others, the bill would drop to $84 a month saving a whopping $41 a month. Yes, you may lose a channel or two on which someone in your household watches one show a week. They may be able to stream the show on line.

So if you did everything suggested here you could save $55 a month. You could do even more or something less. But you easily could make changes that would save you at least 20%.

Now I'll be the first to admit I haven't been able to get my adult daughter to change her package in her household because she might miss a couple of programs a month. But life is a series of choices.

12. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    Just left them after their second increase in a little over a year. The choice package [ NOT a great line-up] , standard def reciever [ 2] That's right, no HD, and they dropped several channels that I actually watched. All for the low, low, price of $69.99.

The only things I will miss is MLB and 101.

Even after dish's promo pricing is over, I'll have a better package for less. Price is gauranteed until 2013. Then we''ll see what happens.......

13. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003

DirecTV Costs more because they have NFLST. That's a hidden cost. I'll never switch to DirecTV:nono::nono::nono::nono:

14. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    You can get the STARZ promo for free for a year. I dropped AEP because Showtime doesn't have quality movies.

15. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    I think you missed my sarcasm... As Jon Lovizt would say "Acting" .....

16. archer75

archer75 Godfather

Oct 13, 2006
    Personally I just go with Dish America and have the VIP722 receiver. I pay a whopping $41/month.

And even with that I feel like I watch too much tv!

Do you really need so many receivers? Do you really need so many channels? You say you can't continue to pay that amount. The solution is simple, reduce your packages and cut your receivers.

17. Wilf

Wilf Legend

Oct 15, 2008
    When we dropped the core package, we missed not having a couple of the channels for a couple of days. Then we got over it and don't miss them at all. Most of what we watch now comes from Netflix streaming.

18. razorbackfan

razorbackfan Godfather

Aug 17, 2002
    Ridgway,...
    I went to the cheapest package I could find after paying almost $100 a month. Dish America so now my bill is $42.00 a month with dvr service. I don't miss all those channels, except for Fox News. I can't stand CNN. Even at $42.00 a month, I still think that's way too much.

I forgot to add, I'm stuck with Dish or Directv here. Cable or anything else isn't available.

19. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    I'm going to be looking into this too, but I may try to go even cheaper. We just got FiOS TV installed over the weekend. I'm going to evaluate it for a while, and when the new v1.9 firmware comes out, I will take a long hard look at both programming packages. I might drop DISH down to the absolute minimum required to still be able to watch the content on my EHD, and use OTA in case the FiOS goes out.

20. DoyleS

DoyleS Icon

Oct 21, 2002
    El Dorado...
    $170 per month and it doesn't look like you even have locals. With 3 722s unless you have a half dozen people all watching different shows, it sure seems like you could do some cabling to eliminate one of those receivers and live with two 722s. HBO does some nice series but having all of the premium channels seems like a lot of repetition. As mentioned earlier, Netflix for $10 a month gives a lot of streaming and mailed DVDs.