1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any way to manipulate volume in the HR24?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by solinar, Oct 15, 2010.

1. solinar

solinar New Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Is there any way to manipulate the volume level that the HR-24 puts out? By default, it controls the TV volume, and it can also control an audio receiver volume, but I don't see any setting for making it control the audio level the HR-24 itself puts out (other than mute).

2. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    No. Even mute is accomplished on the attached device (TV or AVR).

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    DIRECTV receivers do not feature variable audio output.

4. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    Except for when a DirecTV commercial comes on!:D

5. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    IT would be a bad idea for them to control the audio level. Consumer audio levels are handled best when gain-staged properly, and when controlled at a single point. Adding control of volume at the DVR would violate both concepts.

Assume you lowered the level, and then raised it to compensate at the TV or AVR. That would imply raising the inherent noise level in the system as well. What then happens when you switch to a component with audio set to a different level? It would compound that level with the TV/AVR level, which would knock you right out of your Barca-lounger. Not recommended, not likely what anyone has in mind.

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Some would argue that it would be nice to be able to match the DIRECTV output levels to everything else they have. Then again, that's why most modern surround sound systems feature those kinds of adjustments.

I expect that interest in doing trick stuff with analog stereo is relatively small. Then again, I've seen a knucklehead using RCA Y adapters to an old Hi-Fi system for TV audio and radio listening. It really messed with his brain when the audio for a TV show was 180 degrees out of phase between the channels; all he heard was the differences between the channels.

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That problem seems better than it has been. Don't know what happened and don't watch commercials much, but when I do, the volume doesn't seem to go up as much as it used to.

Rich