1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Any way to *not* see live TV when powering up?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Patent geek, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Patent geek

Patent geek Cool Member

Jul 7, 2008
    One Tivo feature that I miss on the 722 is that with Tivo, if you hit the Tivo button prior to turning on your TV, you'd see the menu rather than what was on live TV at the time. I found this to be incredibly useful when I was recording sporting events for delayed viewing while they were still on, and didn't want any spoilers as to the current score.

On the 722, though, when you hit the DVR button, whatever's on the current channel continues showing in the PIP box. More often than not, it's whatever is recording at the time, which is exactly what I want to avoid.

Is it possible to disable the PIP display from showing in the DVR menu? I've poked around but haven't figured out a solution.

2. Redlinetire

Redlinetire Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    You have two issues there:
    1) Turning on the TV and seeing live
    2) Viewing DVR menu and seeing live in PIP

The solution to both is to tune to another channel before turning on the TV.
    If you're recording on both channels, and don't wish to see either of them, then you're out of luck. Unless you have an antenna hooked up, in which case you could tune to that. Unless you're recording that too...

Long answer to say 'no' you can't turn off the PIP.

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Turn your tv OFF before you power on your tivo. :D

4. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    If I don't want what is "on" (a previous recording, Live, some delayed Live) to continue in the window, I hit Pause before the DVR button. No guarantee that Select (or power on) to 722, Pause, then power on the TV won't have a score on the screen, but it will kill audio of the announcer spoiling that (or the other) game.

5. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    I usually just press Mute and don't look at the PiP.

6. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    +1

7. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
  8. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Good answer - wrong question. He's talking about the "Tivo" (DVR) Button. :grin:

There is no way to eliminate the picture when you hit the Tivo (DVR) Button.

9. Patent geek

Patent geek Cool Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Excellent catch. Here it is (pp. 94-95, chapter 11 of the 722 user's guide):
    http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/pdf/user_guides_and_manuals/vip722/Chapter11.pdf

Menu 8-2, extended guide, no video.

Not a perfect solution (which would be a similar option on the DVR main menu), but adequate.

10. Patent geek

Patent geek Cool Member

Jul 7, 2008
    True, but at least tweaking the EPG this way gives me a safe screen to look at on power up without fiddling with mute, averting my eyes, etc.

I wonder if this box is hackable.

11. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    We do not allow Hack Talk here. Please do not digress the discussion into that direction.

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Avert the eyes is the solution I use ... the only other thing I can think of is pressing select (to turn on the box) then the REWIND button four times and waiting a couple of minutes before turning on the TV.

I was thinking of a different problem when I first saw the thread (seeing a movie channel or whatever you were watching last when you next turn on the receiver). I record The Daily Show and Colbert Report on TV2 in the early morning and it ticks my wife off to find TV2 pointed to Comedy Central when she turns on the set ... so now I have an auto tune at 2am to change to the weather channel. :)

For live events recording in progress that isn't an option.

13. Legolas

Legolas Cool Member

Jul 20, 2006
    You could configure your Harmony remote to turn DVR on, go to guide (or whatever) and then turn-on the TV.

Problem Solved. :)

14. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Godfather

Sep 4, 2005
    This is what I do. Works very well.

But ... any of y'all notice this? My 722 does this as well as the 522 SD DVR I had prior: You're recording a sports event. You power up the TV with the DVR set to another channel to avoid looking at the score. ;) You find the sports event in the DVR list, and then choose Start (view from beg). Both boxes, the 522 and 722 do this: for an instant, less than one second, it will show the sports program live, *then* start it from the beginning. So I am now conditioned to avert my gaze for that instant after choosing start to when the recording actually starts playing back from the beg! :D

15. poyzin

poyzin Cool Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Are you sure you're worried about Comedy Central and not something in the range just below 500? :D

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Locked and hidden twice. My EPG goes from 478 to 500. (I have all of the shopping channels locked and hidden as well.)

17. ZBoomer

ZBoomer Icon

Feb 21, 2008
    Ditto; if I'm coming in on a sporting event I don't want to see the end, I just mute the sound before turning on, and cover half the screen with my hand over my eyes until I can get to the recorded programs, and "start over" on the program. Looks goofy probably, holding out my hand to cover my vision, but hey, it works. :D

Edit; forgot, if I can't get it muted in time, I just mutter "la la la la la la la" really loud until I get the sound off, haha.

18. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    Wouldn't it be easier to just hit the Pause button first?

19. ZBoomer

ZBoomer Icon

Feb 21, 2008
    Sometimes, just depends on the situation. I do whatever it takes to keep from seeing or hearing live TV when a sporting even is on, and I'm delayed.

I'm talking about if I walk into the room and the event is already on, volume going. There is a few seconds it takes to find the remote, mute/pause, whatever.

20. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I use all the various techniques suggested here. But it's almost impossible not to get some glimpse of something recording after you delete a recording you just watched.