1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Any way to tell what tuner is in use?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by usnret, Sep 15, 2012.

1. usnret

usnret Icon

Jan 16, 2009
    Is there any way to tell which tuner is in use, i.e. if I am watching ESPN, is there some magical way to tell what tuner it's using?
    Tks

2. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    Why does it matter?

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    No, there is no way.

4. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    if you disconnect the cable from tuner one and the picture goes away, then you just found out!:lol: this only applies to non-SWM system......

but again, why you need to find out???

5. dielray

dielray Legend

Aug 5, 2009
    Yes. If your DVR is connected to your home network you can use SHEF to process a serial command.

Enter into your web browser:
    [ip of your dvr]:8080/serial/processCommand?cmd=FA8B01
    to see what is on tuner 1
    [ip of your dvr]:8080/serial/processCommand?cmd=FA8B02
    to see what is on tuner 2

Results are in hex, just convert the first two bytes to decimal.

1 person likes this.
  6. usnret

usnret Icon

Jan 16, 2009
    Tks dielray

7. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Could you please answer the question as to why you needed or wanted to know?

8. usnret

usnret Icon

Jan 16, 2009
    While watching various programs (meaning different channels) I get pixulation once in awhile. No specific channel or program, just random channels. I thought perhaps it might be a specific tuner, so thought that, if there was a way to check the tuner that I am using, and the pix starts, I could check the tuner in use and perhaps that might be the problem.