1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any word on MLB EI on Dish this season?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Chris Walker, Mar 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 3, 2004 #1 of 15
    Chris Walker

Chris Walker Guest

I am really looking forward to the possibility of E* getting this package due to how nice of a job they have done with the NHL package(home and away feeds for most games). Anyone heard any updates on this?

2. Mar 3, 2004 #2 of 15
    JohnL

JohnL Icon

Apr 1, 2002
    Chris,

Dish will NOT have MLB Extra Innings this season. DirecTV is in the last year of it's exclusive contract.

It's possible for next year IF DirecTV doesn't offer MLB huge dollars to keep it exclusive to DirecTV, so who knows.

If you HAVE to have MLB better switch to DirecTV.

John

3. Mar 3, 2004 #3 of 15
    MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    John...DirecTV's exclusivity expired last season. Dish is still in the hunt to put it on this year. Until D* sends out a press release stating they are exclusive, we have a chance.

http://216.239.53.104/search?q=cach...ngs"++DirecTV+2003+2001+season&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Scroll down this link to read:

MLB ON DIRECTV
    May 25, 2001 DIRECTV and Major League Baseball have announced a multi-year agreement allowing DIRECTV to continue offering the MLB EXTRA INNINGS out-of-market regular season game package to its customers. The agreement extends the current rights of exclusivity for the 2001 through the 2003 regular seasons. DIRECTV recently launched its promotional campaign for the 2001 season with advertisements featuring St. Louis Cardinals slugger Mark McGwire as its official spokesman. The package offers DIRECTV customers up to 35 out-of-market games per week for a price of $149 or four payments of $37.25.

4. Mar 3, 2004 #4 of 15
    JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Reported conflicting info from "DISH" people:

Not this year or stay tuned.

5. Mar 4, 2004 #5 of 15
    dummyproof

dummyproof Godfather

Jan 30, 2004
    IMHO...

I can't believe that this is not seen as obvious as it truly is. :rolleyes:

There is no way E* will be offering EI this year.

E* is going to string along the hopeful until the bitter end, then announce that they were not able to work out a deal, even "at the last minute". It is obvious that they will lose a number of subs when they announce it is not available(trust me, they have very good projections in regards to the number of subs they will/have lost for lack of an EI offering). Now why in the world would they want to give those subs who are going to jump ship, an early reason to do so?

For marketing reasons alone E* would be at a huge disadvantage. Go to D* site and you will see that the EI marketing has been in full swing, and you can bet many D* subs have already signed on the EI line. There is also a "Special Early Bird Offer" that is available if you buy it before April 4th. Any bets as to roughly when E* will admit they aren't carrying EI?

I will personally write a letter of apology to Mr Ergen, should E* offer EI before April 4th... but I sure as hell don't think for one minute that I'll need to reach for the pen and paper.

6. Mar 4, 2004 #6 of 15
    Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    The only negotiations I see for this package would be if EI wanted a guarantee of a minimum number of subs or the amount of $$ Dish would have to devote to advertizing it.

This package like NBA and NHL is pretty much not much negotiation. Dish does not have to worry about increasing costs for all subs since only the ones that want to sub and pay the $$ will do so.

The key probably is if DIRECTV keeps renewing its satellite exclusivity.

7. Mar 4, 2004 #7 of 15
    FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    My understanding is that the price structure of MLB EI is like NFL Sunday Ticket, where the carrier guarantees a certain number of subs or even pays an inflated flat fee. That's different from NBA LP and NHL CI, which just get a (hefty?) percentage per sub without guarantees.

So the "negotiation" consists of Charlie asking whether he'll make a standalone profit from subscribers to a potential new package. In this case, the answer is No, so another April will roll around without EI.

In an earlier thread, I posted a link to an offsite post from someone who said they got a reply from a Dish CSR saying there would no EI on Dish in 2004. I believe it.

I'll sign dummyproof's letter if I'm wrong.

8. Mar 5, 2004 #8 of 15
    dummyproof

dummyproof Godfather

Jan 30, 2004
    "Charlie Chat" prediction:
    Charlie will address the EI question... but, Charlie will lie through his teeth and claim that they are still in negotiations, all the while knowing full well that there ain't a chance in hell that they will be offering it this year.

9. Mar 6, 2004 #9 of 15
    FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    One more bit of proof now available. On D*, MLB spring training replays are apparently available, but they are blackout out on Dish.

Next thread: Are pigs finally going to fly this year? Anybody hear anything definitive whether they will or not? :)

10. Chris Walker

Chris Walker Guest

The NBA and NHL weren't announced until a week or two before the season started, so this isn't surprising that we haven't heard anything.

11. dummyproof

dummyproof Godfather

Jan 30, 2004
    Not being one to be too small to admit one's mistakes... it appears I may need to fire off an apology!

Please Please Please make it so I owe you an apology Charlie ...sir. :D

See this thread: MLB Extra Innings - maybe on Dishnet!!!

12. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Channels 625-639 are uplinked and labeled "MLB" Looks good for Baseball fans.

See ya
    Tony

13. ayalbaram

ayalbaram Legend

Aug 4, 2003
    I'd love for them to get it owever there are some major problems with that idea. Biggest one being that the video provider (E*) has to uplink their own signal from how I understand it. How can they uplink the EI programming w/o all the sports networks (specificially YES)? Does anyone here know if my understanding of how this works is correct?

14. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    They uplink YES for NBA LP. Time will tell...

15. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    Be sure to forward me that apology to sign. If E* does for MLB EI what it did for NHL CI, this could be really great!

Although it's important to remember that "almost there" is another way of saying "not there".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.