1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Any word on MLBTV on Dish??

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by sasserfolk, Dec 30, 2008.

1. sasserfolk

sasserfolk AllStar

Aug 6, 2005
    Since MLBTV launches in less that 48 hours, is there any hope of us getting it on Dish? I see that DirectTV is going to carry it.

2. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    People even watch those overpaid prima dona's?
    I read somewhere Dish wont be picking up MLBTV. Could change after the new Sat is up and running though.

3. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    I very much doubt it. MLBTV is being carried as part of the contract for MLB Extra Innings. DirecTV and cable agreed to carry it when they signed up for Extra Innings. Since Charlie didn't want Extra Innings I highly doubt he's going to pay extra for the MLB channel.

Also keep in mind that DirecTV is a part owner in the MLBTV channel as well.

4. epokopac

epokopac Godfather

Aug 8, 2007
    Lawrencevill...
    No MLB Channel on Dish on 1-1-09.

The earliest you'll see MLB EI and/or the MLB Channel on Dish is 2014 (maybe). That is when the exclusive 700 million, seven-year agreement (2007 thru 2013) that MLB, Direct TV and InDemand have expires.

From Raymie (in Arizona):

"What happened with MLB EI:

Dish couldn't just get the package (EI) for X dollars (from MLB). They also "had" to take a stake in the MLB Channel.

Dish didn't want the latter (MLB Channel), so they couldn't get the former (MLB EI) by extension." :(