1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any word on planned fixes beyond 10B8?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rlambert7, Apr 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rlambert7

rlambert7 Godfather

Feb 7, 2006
    In particular, the annoying thing where, if you are watching, for example, ch 7 at 8:50 pm, and you have scheduled recordings on chs 2 & 4 to start at 9 pm, you get a messsage at 8:55 pm saying that the DVR must change channels (either to 2 or 4).

You are given the choice to "OK, Change Channel" or "Don't change channel" (and your scheduled recording is canceled).

It seems that the proper action (to a response of "OK, change channel") would be to change the channel at the instant the recording needs to start, not at the instant you respond with "OK...".* As a matter of fact that IS what it does, sort of. The default is "OK, Change Channel" (that is "pre-highlighted"). If you don't respond, and just sit there watching the current show with that annoying message filling about 1/3 of the screen, it WILL change the channel, again, "sort of". I just ran an experiment:

Ch 2 was already recording something I had previously scheduled when I did this (at about 11:41 am). I set up a manual record to start at 11:55 am on Ch 4. I was watching a channel other than 2 or 4. At 11:50 am I got the annoying message. It said it needed to change to ch 4. I just let it sit there, and at 11:55 am, the channel did change, but not to ch 4, as it had said that it needed to do. It changed to channel 2. (I don't really see too much of a problem with that, only pointing out that that is what happened).

*OK, maybe as a "warm fuzzy" what should happen in response to "OK, Change Channel" should be a brief, maybe 2 second message, that says, "OK, will change to Ch N at xx:xx [ap]m

Anyway, what's up with this "problem"?

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Three that I know of, not sure what will be in what release.

-) The problem you list above... aka-prenotification switch
    -) Live buffer clearing out when going to Active or Pre-Recorded program
    -) Buffer continuing while in "standby"

3. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    Still no word on dual live buffers?

4. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Speaking of standby: Earl, have you ever talked to your guy about that? Is it part of the design that they expect the user to put the box in standby whenever they're not using it?

If it's doing necessary housekeeping in standby (and only in standby), they might consider as an enhancement going automatically to standby (after a prompt, of course), when considered idle (no remote activity) for a long period of time.

5. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    There was some word... but not the kind of words a good number of the forum users want to hear...

I'll start another thread in a momement.

6. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005

Actually... Standby is just a way to "jumpstart" the houskeeping stuff.
    It doesn't have to be in standby for it to do the work.

If you don't go into standby, it works similar to the TiVo... after a few hours of not detecting any remote or front panel activity, it will then just start the houskeeping.

7. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    What about the dreaded "Keep at Most"/"Keep Until" logic? Earl, is this logic working the way DTV envisioned it working? If not, do you know how it's "suppose" to work and if it's being worked on? I would prefer this being handled the same way the Tivos currently handle it.

For those not familiar, assuming KAM is set to 5.

On Tivos Keep Until set to I Delete will record the 1st 5 shows and then stop until you delete shows. Set to Space Needed will keep the most current 5 shows on your DVR.

On the R15 it doesn't make any difference what you set Keep Until to. You will always have the most recent 5 shows.

[At least I think that's right, sometimes I get cornfused.]

8. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Another requested future fix: Please provide full program information every place and every time you get it. For example, if you toggle to the list view of the guide, you get such an abbreviated program description that it is useless. It should have exactly the same program info in that screen as it does in the grid guide.

Carl

9. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Keep logic....

I will have to bring that up at my next conversation...

10. gimme5

gimme5 Legend

Jan 27, 2006
    One thing I'd like to see fixed is when I'm watching a show and I delete it in the end, it takes be to the top of the MyVOD list.
    I wish it would take me to the place in the list where the show I deleted was, the way Tivo does it.

11. mphare

mphare AllStar

Nov 15, 2005
    Does it still have a 'roll-the-dice' attitude about 3xFF or 3xRWD?

12. ad301

ad301 Godfather

Mar 30, 2004
    What about wishlist-equivalent functionality?

13. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Ad301

There is still discussion in adding a more enhanced FindBy (with boolean logic)
    not sure if/when we may see.

And of course, they are still planning on increasing the "limits" of the ToDo and SL lists.

14. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006
    If they just added a "Find ALL" and that searched all 25 of your "Most recent Finds" that would be very similiar to Tivo's WL's.

15. ad301

ad301 Godfather

Mar 30, 2004
    Yup, Bobman, that would definitely help. To really approximate the WL functionality, they'd also need to allow you to explicitly save any find, until you decide to delete it. And that list of saved finds could not be limited to some arbitrary number.

16. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Any word on when the RF remote feature would be enabled?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.