1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody been able to do a Genie self install?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by SledgeHammer, Aug 11, 2013.

1. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    One last question for today haha... has anyone gotten DTV to allow for a Genie self install? Called them up and they said I could have the box for free, but I'd need to have a tech come out to install it. Really? I need to sit home for 4 to 6 hours to have a tech plug the box into the wall?? Assume I have an SWM capable dish.

And they want to charge me $50 to have said tech come out and plug in the box.

Based on my experience with DTV techs, they overstay their welcome, confiscate a bunch of stuff (last time they came out, a simple dish re-aim turned into a 4hr appointment where they disconnected my OTA, confiscated the splitters, diplexers & multiplexers, etc), disconnect OTA and just make an overall mess.

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Some people have gotten it shipped to them. What is your exact setup? That might explain why they want to send out a tech.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    When mine was installed, they checked out everything, new wire here, repointing dish there. Well worth it. Obviously, mileage varies. And yes, I've also plugged in my Genie myself, but you have to get DIRECTV's agreement about sending it in the first place. Try another CSR... and

Good luck!

4. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I currently have a 5 LNB slimline dish (non SWM). I am more then happy to pay $40 for a SWM8 (w/ power inverter) and stick that in my attic myself. The dish also has the new re-enforced mount, so thats all fine and dandy as well. Signal strength is all good too. Just have the one DVR in the living room (HR20).

I know it sounds silly that I'm ok with paying $40 or whatever to a random eBay dude for a SWM8 kit vs. paying DTV $50 for a tech to come out and install everything for me, its just that the techs are such a headache to deal with. Not to mention my entertainment center is pretty cramped and I don't want the tech messing around in there.

I certainly do not want the crappy hotel remote, I'd want to keep my RC65.

5. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Oh, there is another issue too if I did a tech install. They are going to want to do the LNB install vs. the SWM8 install. This is an issue because of where the dish is installed. The techs that have come out always whine about the ladder angle if they place the ladder in my backyard. They always want to go over the fence into my neighbors yard. Thats fine. I don't want anybody to get hurt obviously, but my neighbors are a PITA to deal with and are hardly ever home. So the tech is going to come out, refuse to do it from my backyard then we'll see the neighbors aren't home and he'll go home anyways.

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I currently have a 5 LNB slimline dish (non SWM). I am more then happy to pay $40 for a SWM8 (w/ power inverter) and stick that in my attic myself. The dish also has the new re-enforced mount, so thats all fine and dandy as well. Signal strength is all good too. Just have the one DVR in the living room (HR20).

I know it sounds silly that I'm ok with paying $40 or whatever to a random eBay dude for a SWM8 kit vs. paying DTV $50 for a tech to come out and install everything for me, its just that the techs are such a headache to deal with. Not to mention my entertainment center is pretty cramped and I don't want the tech messing around in there.

I certainly do not want the crappy hotel remote, I'd want to keep my RC65.

The reason they want to do the install is because you don't have a SWM setup right now. Sending out the tech ensures that your SWM setup is configured correctly. (And yes, I know that with some DirecTV techs would still screw that up...)

As for the remote, you can still use the RC65 remote with a HR44 in IR mode. The HR34 can use the RC65 in either IR or RF mode.

- Merg

7. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    If I tell them that I have a SWM dish, they'll let me do a self install? I did ask the CSR that, but he said no, but I asked "if I had a SWM dish, could I get a self install?" rather then just say "I already have a SWM dish".

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    If I tell them that I have a SWM dish, they'll let me do a self install? I did ask the CSR that, but he said no, but I asked "if I had a SWM dish, could I get a self install?" rather then just say "I already have a SWM dish".

It might work, however, their system should show that you don't have a SWM setup and that an upgrade to a Genie requires a dish upgrade.

- Merg

9. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    You have more than the average obstacles to overcome, but in the long run, unless you get the same tech as before, you'll likely be fine with them installing it.

Good luck!

10. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The DirecTV ordering system will not allow a Genie self install if such system shows your account is not SWM, Unless you get someone to override this. Best to order from SS which of course you have to pay the full lease price

11. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Can I call them up and say "hey, I upgraded my dish to a SWM dish, can you update your system?" and then call back a few days later or whatever and say I want the genie? Lol... I know, I know... I'm coming off difficult. I'm not trying to do anything shady or anything... but between the logistics with the neighbor. I don't even care about the $40 or $50 as I would spend that much if I was to upgrade to a SWM8 myself... it's just I've learned from personal experience that its best to avoid DTV techs cuz they never just do what you tell 'em and they never hook up the system how you want it. Like I said... the last tech that came out for a dish re-aim (because I had the only unstable mount system) not only disconnected my OTA (by CUTTING the cables)... he confiscated stuff *I PAID FOR* like the diplexer and multiplexer to make the system work. I know, its like $10 for the two, but I was lucky to have a coax crimper or I wouldn't have been able to reconnect the OTA antenna. I spent a couple of hours fixing his mess.

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I tried to get a self install for my parents, no go, even though they do have SWM from the original install, wouldn't go over 8 tuners etc. I explained all this to the rep, but she insisted self installs weren't allowed "due to the complexity of installation and satellite communications". I ended up just having them schedule a tech.

13. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Can I call them up and say "hey, I upgraded my dish to a SWM dish, can you update your system?" and then call back a few days later or whatever and say I want the genie? Lol... I know, I know... I'm coming off difficult. I'm not trying to do anything shady or anything... but between the logistics with the neighbor. I don't even care about the $40 or $50 as I would spend that much if I was to upgrade to a SWM8 myself... it's just I've learned from personal experience that its best to avoid DTV techs cuz they never just do what you tell 'em and they never hook up the system how you want it. Like I said... the last tech that came out for a dish re-aim (because I had the only unstable mount system) not only disconnected my OTA (by CUTTING the cables)... he confiscated stuff *I PAID FOR* like the diplexer and multiplexer to make the system work. I know, its like $10 for the two, but I was lucky to have a coax crimper or I wouldn't have been able to reconnect the OTA antenna. I spent a couple of hours fixing his mess.
    that is (was) because DirecTV does not allow diplexing of OTA over the same coax cables. so in theory, the tech was "doing his job"

14. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    you can always ask the tech if you can install the Genie yourself while he upgrades the dish

15. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    As I said, its a logistical nightmare to upgrade the dish because it can't be accessed "safely" from my property.

Does the tech bring the DVR or does DTV ship it to you? So I could theoretically cancel the appointment after i got the boxes? :angel: Or will they be all drama queeny and refuse to activate the box until the tech comes?

I certainly wouldn't want to waste $50 on a SWM8 if they are just going to confiscate it and replace the LNB. Techs like to do unnecessary work so they get paid more.

16. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    As I said, its a logistical nightmare to upgrade the dish because it can't be accessed "safely" from my property.

Does the tech bring the DVR or does DTV ship it to you? So I could theoretically cancel the appointment after i got the boxes? :angel:

I certainly wouldn't want to waste $50 on a SWM8 if they are just going to confiscate it and replace the LNB. Techs like to do unnecessary work so they get paid more.
    the tech will bring the Genie. Tech do not like to do unnecessary "stuff" because they DO NOT get pay more. the quicker they are out of your house the better they are. If you let the tech know that you bought the SWM8 they will give it to you. The reason tech "takes stuff" is as to not leave garbage behind as this is one of the survey questions

17. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    You should stand a good chance of getting the tech. to simply use the SWiM-8 module you purchased and leave the dish with your conventional 4 output LNBF alone.

The SWiM-8s from the installers are just reserved for 8 or less tuner HD installs that require the international dish. but since you bought it, I can't see why the tech. would object to using it.

18. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Hmm... so it doesn't sound like they'll let you do a self install even if you have the SWM8 or a SWM dish. What a PITA. If they upgrade the dish, they may as well confiscate the SWM8 as its a throw away at that point. Just annoys me that they can't take the 2 seconds to UNSCREW the OTA cable vs. just cutting it.

19. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Also note that if your dish is not properly aligned the tech will be forced to re-peak it as the receiver would not activate otherwise

20. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Well, they are probably told to upgrade everybody to the SWM LNB would be my guess. Costs DTV less (support wise) to only have a single install flavor out there. If I refused to let him upgrade the dish (it honestly is not accessible from my backyard, you have to go to the neighbors backyard unless you don't mind the steeper ladder angle -- but 2 or 3 techs over the years have refused to do it from my yard), he'd probably just take the genie with him and claim I was being difficult.