1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Anybody else lose ESPN

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by dstout, Sep 21, 2013.

1. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    ?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using DBSTalk mobile app

2. John W

John W Icon

Dec 19, 2005
    Lost channels on 129 it appears here

3. epokopac

epokopac Godfather

Aug 8, 2007
    Lawrencevill...
    Sure did. Appears to be the HD feeds only - ESPN, ESPN2, MLB; I'm sure there are others

4. John W

John W Icon

Dec 19, 2005
    Here picture froze on Big Ten Channel HD, looked around and came back and nothing there or on others from 129.

5. John W

John W Icon

Dec 19, 2005
    Appear to be back up now.

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I am on eastern arc, and had a brief outage maybe an hour or so ago... it may have coincided with what you experienced. We have some weather floating across NC so I thought it was related to that... but perhaps there was also some brief weather at the uplink site again.

7. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    Lost the HD channels for a while. Maybe ESPN cut them off to show DISH what will happen if they don't accept higher prices on the new contract.

8. John W

John W Icon

Dec 19, 2005
    Here it included HD version of Big Ten Network which would not be a part of anything such as that. So, would say a DISH issue of some kind, thankfully very short in duration.

9. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I lost The History Channel at 6:48 PM.

10. Willh

Willh Legend

Jan 1, 2009
    it's solar flare season. so you are gonna have issues with the satellite this time of year.

11. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Perhaps you mean a solar outage.

A solar flare is a huge ejection of radiation and particles from the sun usually directed in a relatively small cone from the suns surface. If a solar flare struck the earth it would disrupt power transmission and all communications on the "sunny" side.

I recall one large ejection earlier this year or late last year, that luckily was "aimed" away from earth, but could have done billions of dollars in damage if it had been directed toward us.

Twice a year the sun is directly behind the lnb's on your dish and the solar radiation overwhelms the signal from the satellite for maybe 10-15 minutes in the afternoon for Western arc and before noon for the Eastern arc satellites.

The dates of these solar outages depends on your latitude and the time depends on which satellite you are looking at and your longitude. Today the sun is directly over the equator, so solar outages would be occurring along the equator. As the sun progresses southward on the sky the outages move north.

Here is a calculator to estimate the date and time of possible solar outages:

http://www.satcomresources.com/Sun-Outage-Predictor

Looks like predicted 2013 outages for Lubbock, TX are from October 1 to October 11, around 3:35-3:45pm CDT, YMMV.

1 person likes this.