1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody ever paint their RG6 cables?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by frank29, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 6, 2007 #1 of 11
    frank29

frank29 AllStar

Nov 10, 2005
    Yeah, I know, it's a wierd question.

Twenty years ago a neighbor built an impressive fence along the road. Brick columns spaced every 10' or so with wrought iron fencing between. Looked great.

A year or so later, he had the bright idea to paint the brick columns. Bad move. The brick finsh would have lasted forever with little or no upkeep. He's now got a maintenance nightmare. One of these decades he's going to get the bright idea to sandblast the paint off. So far, he repaints every 5 years or so (always a different color!). Each time the paint start to peal it looks worse and worse.

I've got four runs of solid copper core RG6 extending from my eaves down 10' the siding to the dish. I almost painted them to blend in with the siding until I thought of how sometimes paint is not a good idea.

Has anybody ever painted their cables outside? How did it hold up? In my particular case I have left over latex paint from a recent paint job.

Call me anal, it's deserved; but, while your calling me names, tell me your experience in painted cables. :p

2. Aug 6, 2007 #2 of 11
    TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    I see cables painted all the time. I don't know how it holds up in the long run, but I haven't seen one yet that is messed up because of the paint.

3. Aug 6, 2007 #3 of 11
    armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Spray paint seems to last, but thick latex never really adheres to them. I don't think I have seen it ever peeling off though. Most of the damage is when you remove them and you leave a huge jagged strip down the siding.

4. Aug 6, 2007 #4 of 11
    Fish Man

Fish Man Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    I had my cables painted at my previous house. It didn't seem to cause any problems.

5. Aug 6, 2007 #5 of 11
    DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Ours were painted a few years ago when our house was painted. It looks good so far.

6. Aug 6, 2007 #6 of 11
    gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration

Mar 7, 2007
    latex paint shouldn't have any foreseen issue's now or in the future. some oil based paints years ago the solvents was strong enough to make the outer coax lining to crack exposing the inner core.

7. Aug 6, 2007 #7 of 11
    tds4182

tds4182 Legend

Jul 17, 2003
    Mine have been painted for app. 10 years with no problems. It's probably a very good idea to keep the paint (or any liquid) away from any connections as much as possible.

Other than than, no problems, especially with latex paint.

8. Aug 7, 2007 #8 of 11
    frank29

frank29 AllStar

Nov 10, 2005
    Thanks guys. :)

9. Aug 7, 2007 #9 of 11
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    My RG6 got painted when they did the house. I would have asked them not to but it didn't occur to me. I doubt there's any real performance penalty.

10. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    you can also get rg6 in at least white and black and it wouldn't surprize me if it is avalible in more colors..
    In my case my house is white so I'm all set :)

11. phlevin

phlevin AllStar

Apr 3, 2007
    I've run RG-6 cables in grey PVC pipe (conduit), more for cosmetics than anything. If you need to replace or add just oversize pipe slightly. Sand and paint the pipe. Use flex if it needs to curve. Use putty at ends so critters don't make it home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.