1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody know what happened to EKB?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by HTguy, Jun 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 9, 2002 #1 of 12
    HTguy

HTguy Icon

May 6, 2002
    Can't get into it with any URL or link, any page, from any computer for a couple of days.

Site down? Server down? Doing maintenance?

What do you know, Tony?
    :confused:

2. Jun 9, 2002 #2 of 12
    Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
  3. Jun 9, 2002 #3 of 12
    Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Besides the loss of the domain, Tony also mentioned yesterday that swiki was down.

4. Jun 9, 2002 #4 of 12
    TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Yeah...if swiki goes down on a Friday night, it stays down until at least Monday morning. :(

It's all of the swiki domain that's down and not just the echostar so I guess we're okay.

This coming week I plan to back up on my computer the entire EKB on swiki just in case. But that should be okay. I have a "back-up" plan just in case we lose swiki for good.

I hope jbuff is okay. I haven't been able tp communicate with him in some time. He hasn't responded to my or Bobabird's e-mails. But as I say, I have some plans for emergency back-up just in case.

The channel/transponder list from 5/27/02 is still available at:
    http://w3.one.net/~tngtony/Dish/list.htm (case sensitive)

See ya
    Tony

5. Jun 9, 2002 #5 of 12
    Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Tony, does swiki ever give a reason why they go down, and it seems like the go down a lot.

6. Jun 9, 2002 #6 of 12
    TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    No. And yes. :)

I've never heard a reason why the server is so unstable other than the nature of the service makes it a ripe target for hackers.

And yes they go down lots! But the reason jbuff went with them in the first place was because of the ease of use and the ability to invite people like me and bobabird to edit pages with a minimum of problems.

I don't know if you remember when jbuff first set up the EKB on the Swiki, but his original idea was to have multiple posters just put up their ideas and technical pages and posts. Unfortunately, morons decided to get involved and attempt to "kill" the site. Since then, the current set-up has been the norm where only invited editors can alter pages. There have been several editors, but only bobabird and I have been there long term. jbuff drifted away since his defection to DirecTV. However he still edit the "what's on TV" page daily. Each of us have our "turf". But there are several areas and pages where anyone of us will edit as needed.

I claim the channel list and most other programming pages (though only the big channel list is sacrosanct) while bobabird has the HDTV and Dolby Digital sites. He also updates the "front page" since Mike Dudas resigned his brief reign as the "king of the E* news".

The other BIG reason why swiki is because it's cheap! :) As I guess that's a contributing factor to the server going up and down like a yo-yo.

Anyway, as I said, Swiki should be back up tomorrow.

See ya
    Tony

7. Jun 9, 2002 #7 of 12
    Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Hey Tony,

Have you ever considered the DBSTalk servers as your new home? We would do it for free and downtime would be almost Nill. You would also have your own subdomain and FTP account. Let me know by e-mail if you are interested or have any questions.

8. Jun 9, 2002 #8 of 12
    TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Sent you an e-mail.

See ya
    Tony

9. Jun 9, 2002 #9 of 12
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    One question, Tony. How come you have seperate columns for "AT50", "AT100", and "AT150". Why not remove two columns and say "minimum US package"?

10. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    You're one step ahead of me! :) I'd considered doing that, but the issue that was brought up by some of the contrubutors (including the one that requested the package info in the first place) is that this way at a glance you can see what channels are on what package without having to figure anything out. If I have AT50 it is not obvious to the newbie that is it avaialbe in AT150.

It's kind of like the comparison charts. They all show all three levels. Anyway, it won't be long before AT70 is a thing of the past so one column will go away soon.

See ya
    Tony

11. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
  12. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Thanks, Tony :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.