1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody listen to the audio channels?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by psnarula, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 8, 2006 #1 of 24
    psnarula

psnarula Godfather

Aug 12, 2005
    What's your favorite? I just recently discovered Light Classical ("An artful blend of Chamber and small orchestral pieces from the Baroque and Romantic periods") on Channel 972. It's so much better than the usual classical music I get via streaming internet radio. No talk, no commercials, just good music while I work.

2. Feb 8, 2006 #2 of 24
    jtthirty

jtthirty Mentor

Jan 12, 2006
    I'm a blues fan and theSirius blues channel is pretty darn good. Blues music has always been neglected except on public radio stations or played when by one of the rock stars influenced by the genre. So, yeah, I like it.

3. Feb 8, 2006 #3 of 24
    AcuraCL

AcuraCL Godfather

Dec 12, 2005
    I like a lot of them. In the Muzak channels, I like New Age (which seems to come and go), Big Band Era, 70s Songbook, heck, lots of 'em. The Classical ones are good, and the jazz is pretty mellow.

Don't listen to the Sirius channels much bec. the sound quality seems lower to me.

4. Feb 8, 2006 #4 of 24
    thxultra

thxultra Godfather

Feb 1, 2005
    I like the sirius channels a lot. I enjoy the beat, first wave, the big 80's, and area.

5. Feb 8, 2006 #5 of 24
    alebowgm

alebowgm Hall Of Fame

Jun 12, 2004
    973 easy listening puts me out at night

6. Feb 8, 2006 #6 of 24
    Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Sirius 6 is my favorite. I'd prefer the MUZAK DJ-Free feed, however I don't like the mix on the MUZAK oldies channel.

FWIW: A 60's channel should be from '64-'73 (Beatles/Motown/cross-over country/Psychadellic) and play a mix the same way the songs were originally heard on the big top 40 stations (i.e. not just the #1 hits - play the #20 songs too, many of us remember those songs). Keep the early 60's Doo-Wop on the 50's channel.

The FM oldies station here has moved into the 70's. I'm sorry, Disco does not belong in the same mix as the Beatles, Beach Boys, Stones, Motown.

7. Feb 9, 2006 #7 of 24
    zman977

zman977 Godfather

Nov 8, 2003
    My wife and I listen to quite a few of the Sirius Channels. Big eighties, Hair Nation, First Wave, and Faction are a few of our favorites.

8. Feb 9, 2006 #8 of 24
    yooper

yooper New Member

Jan 28, 2006
    My dislike of Muzak classical channels is that they only play one movement of the work. Thats like watching just the 3rd quarter of a football game. btw audio is available ala carte for $5. I loved Sirius Classical when I had it , especially the sunday morning chamber music program ( sure wish that was ala carte ) I now listen to Music Choice on cable which is ok.

9. Feb 9, 2006 #9 of 24
    dragon762

dragon762 Cool Member

Feb 1, 2006
    We listen to several of the Sirus stations ... Outlaw Country, Rolling Stones, Jam Bands, Buzzsaw, SPA, and Margaritaville are our favorites.

10. toomuchtv

toomuchtv Godfather

May 17, 2002
    I like Sirius 7, 9, 10, 14 & 21. In the Muzac lineup I listen to the 70's channel, New Age, & Easy Instrumentals.

11. MDRNHL

MDRNHL AllStar

Jan 8, 2006
    I kind of agree...mine doesn't sound as good as I think it should. Almost like an AM or mono broadcast. (the signal is going from my 510 directly into my Sony A/V stereo receiver)

12. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Don't have Dish, but I do quite a bit of audio only listening. :) Here's my top 5 music stations from each service.

Music Choice - Metal, Rock, Arena Rock, Party Favorites, Solid Gold Oldies

Sirius - Hard Attack, Octane, Buzz Saw, Classic Rewind, The Beat

XM - Squizz, Bone Yard, Ethel, The 60s, Watercolors

13. Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    Well, my taste in music is quite diverse. ;) From big-band era to country to hair bands to classic rock.. The list goes on and on! :D

However, the two stations that get the play are:

(60)22 - First Wave .. all day :dance:
    (60)72 - Pure Jazz .. all night :new_sleep (yes, I sleep with the TV on..)

(And during the Christmas season, I listen to the Christmas music a lot also. ;))

14. bravesguy

bravesguy Cool Member

Jan 25, 2006
    I like the Elvis Sirius channel!

15. UTFAN

UTFAN Legend

Nov 11, 2005
    My wife prefers the 60's classics, for me it's jazz, blues and gospel. But Saturday morning especially, it's Sirius on DISH. We have full home theater sound so audio quality is very, very good.

16. AcuraCL

AcuraCL Godfather

Dec 12, 2005
    Audio quality of Sirius is much worse than CD, worse even than FM. I like the content, but on a hi fidelity music system, these channels just aren't listen-able. They're ok through the tv speakers, which are bad enough to mask how really bad the signal is.

17. toomuchtv

toomuchtv Godfather

May 17, 2002
    The Sirius channels have excellent sound quality on my audio system. I use optical from my 510 to my recvr & it works very well.

18. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    I occasionally listen to ch 944 italia, and the Holiday channel they put up is decent as well. But mostly I do use just the Sirius channels.

19. diospyros

diospyros AllStar

Nov 14, 2005
    Sirius channels on Dish sound quite good. Much better than XM when plugged into my sound system. I like the XM content better though. Sirius DJs on the channels I listen to clown around too much. But the Muzak, even though they seem mono, sound wonderful. Mostly listen to classical and bluegrass, but really like the Muzak Hawai'ian channel. Not a lot of uke music in Ohio.

20. cumberlandredskin

cumberlandredskin AllStar

Feb 5, 2004
    I really like tuning in that one when I set down to read. I also like Sirius 6006 (60's),6007(70's) and 6008(80's).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.