1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody read books? I do.

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Rich, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Nov 7, 2010 #1 of 498
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Probably seems like a strange place to talk about books, but, surely, some folks still read from time to time.

I've been reading Tim Dorsey's novels about a serial killer in Florida and these are some of the funniest books I've ever read. Starting with Florida Roadkill, the series should be read in it's entirety or you will be left wondering who's who.

I awaited Carl Hiassen's newest book, Star Island with great anticipation, having read all his previous books which were all really funny. The same story line runs thru all of them. But Star Island turned out to be a great disappointment and, at page 145, I gave up on it. Gotta be careful what you wish for.

Just finished reading John Sandford's newest book, Bad Blood and I couldn't put it down. Grabbed me on the first page, as Sandford's books always seem to, and was a great read from start to finish.

Also just finished James Patterson's Don't Blink and Postcard Killers. I thoroughly enjoyed both of them. Haven't read a bad Patterson book ever.

Rich

2. Nov 7, 2010 #2 of 498
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Some of the threads on this site are so long I guess you could call them a novel.

3. Nov 7, 2010 #3 of 498
    TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    And you have time to read with 10 DVR's? ;)

1 person likes this.
  4. Nov 7, 2010 #4 of 498
    Whodo

Whodo Mentor

May 15, 2007
    Being you enjoy reading John Sandford & James Patterson books, you would probably enjoy reading Jonathan Kellerman & John Lescroart books as well.

5. Nov 7, 2010 #5 of 498
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Kellerman's books I've been reading for years. Lescroart, I never heard of, but I will try him. Thanx.

Rich

6. Nov 7, 2010 #6 of 498
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    A lot of folks on the forum don't understand the concept of brevity. I have a hard time reading them, altho I tend to write some long ones too. :)

Rich

7. Nov 7, 2010 #7 of 498
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Gotta remember, I've "been out of work" since '94 (and I love the good life!)

Rich

8. Nov 7, 2010 #8 of 498
    yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Been reading the WWW trilogy by Robert J Sawyer.

9. Nov 7, 2010 #9 of 498
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've read most of his books and usually learn something from each book. Never knew what a "Necker Cube" was until I read his book that pertains to cubes. Don't remember the name. Always enjoyed his books.

Rich

10. Nov 7, 2010 #10 of 498
    Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Kellerman is one of my favorite authors! Patterson.. not so much any more. Especially his off the rails book when Alex Cross went to Africa. What a crock.

Kellerman is a very nice man as well. I sent him an e-mail once after reading a funny story on his web-site. He responded personally and gave me an update on a future book I was waiting for. He replied several times and started sending me updates on when his books will be coming out.

I also read his wife's books and I tried on of his son's - but that book was very dark. It was well done, but soooo dark.

I love Vince Flynn and Brad Thor. Brad Thor has a forum (called the Thorum) that readers post on daily. He always responds! He seems a very personable man as well.

Another fave is JA Jance. My dad likes her books as well and managed to convince her to come speak at his retirement village down south of Tucson.

I joined a book buying program on-line (sort of like those 10 cd's for a dollar). It is called The Mystery Guild. I get all the books (hardcovers) at about half off or more. I read so many that I resell almost all of them the next month or I would not have room on my bookshelves. I only keep my most favorites and almost all non-fiction.

11. Nov 7, 2010 #11 of 498
    TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Cool. I hope I can retire one day.

BTW, does reading this site multiple times a day count as reading? :sure:

12. Nov 7, 2010 #12 of 498
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    As soon as Cross left the police job the books went downhill badly. I think. I haven't even read the last two Alex Cross books.

Two more authors I've never heard of. Just looked at them on the Net. Have to give them a try.

Rich

13. Nov 7, 2010 #13 of 498
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Didn't really retire. I quit.

Rich

14. Nov 7, 2010 #14 of 498
    Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I have a Kindle and it's packed. I'm reading The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking et al, Making Our Democracy Work: A Judge's View by Stephen Breyer, and The Colorado Kid by Stephen King. I'm also reading a hard cover I can't for the Kindle.

Mike

15. Nov 7, 2010 #15 of 498
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I read about two books a month, mostly now on my iPad via the Kindle App, but three printed books in the last two months.

I also read two weekly, six monthly and one quarterly magazines. Online I regularly but selectively read three local newspapers, three statewide newspapers, and three national newspapers, as well as various TV related trade publications and this Forum.

If you didn't already know, I too am retired and didn't have TV or the internet in my early childhood, so I developed a reading habit. Like most reading addicts, I just can't say "no" to a good book.

16. Nov 7, 2010 #16 of 498
    Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I have been reading as many books as possible since I could read! And I am still a TVaholic as well. I am so glad I love reading as I have instilled that in my children as well. My teenage boys read almost as much as I do.

17. Nov 9, 2010 #17 of 498
    bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    Good for you with regards to your children and reading. Outside of my family none of my male friends read at all, they are used to seeing it now but the first few times they came over during the summer and see me sitting by the pool with a book (now a Kindle) they all looked at me like I was an alien or something. My wife and I have been trying to share the enjoyment of reading with our Godson, who is also our neighbor, because his parents don't really read much and I'd hate for him to miss out on how incredible a great book can be - no movie can compare to your own imagination.

I'm always looking for new authors to try so I really like this thread!

Lately I've been reading Christopher Reich and like too many others to mention them all but I recommend Brad Meltzer's early books (I loved "First Counsel"), some of John Katzenbach (physiological thrillers / mystery with my favorite being "The Madman's Tale"), and the Harry Potter series - the first couple are quick reads that lack some substance but that changes pretty quickly IMO. They are obviously older but the original Bourne Series and just about anything ACTUALLY written by Ludlum I really enjoyed. Ken Follett is good if you want some weird sexual situations thrown into your spy novel. :)

18. Nov 9, 2010 #18 of 498
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've got a huge reading habit and a library system here in NJ that accesses most out of town libraries. I do my book shopping on Amazon and order the books from the library. Amazon seems to be the best site to find new books and older books that are in a series and have to be read from the first book to the last. I haven't bought a book since I purchased Europe by Norman Davies a few years ago. What a great history book! What a great writer!

Rich

19. Nov 9, 2010 #19 of 498
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My wife and I read and my son doesn't. Go figure. Puzzles me. :)

Rich

20. Nov 9, 2010 #20 of 498
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You wouldn't believe the names I've been called over the years because I read so much. And I've been looked at as if I were an alien too.

Good. I hope we can keep it going, I've already got a few authors I haven't read on a list just from this thread.

I've seen his books in the library. Does he write stand alone books or do you have to go back to his first books and read them all?

I've never read Meltzer's books, but I'll add that to the list. Katzenbach, I read his books for a while and haven't read his latest books. Another name for the list. My wife has all the Harry Potter books, and the Twilight series, but I haven't found time to read them. Ludlum, I've been reading for years. The only problem I see with his books are the vast amount of characters. Hard to keep them straight. Follet, Forsythe, all the rest of them I've read and enjoyed. And of course Higgins with his protagonist Dillon. I think he just passed away. As did Robert B. Parker, a sad day in my life.

Rich