1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Anybody waiting for Dolby Volume

Discussion in 'Home Theater Audio' started by difficultrun, Dec 21, 2008.

1. difficultrun

difficultrun Mentor

Feb 17, 2007
    I've heard Dolby Volume is coming out next month in several AV receivers. Is anybody thinking about buying one of the receivers -- I've heard they're going to be pretty expensive? Do you think the technology will make a difference and is it worth the cost?

thanks.

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I am moving this to the "Tech Talk" forum.

3. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    i see no difference between this and 'dynamic range control' that most receivers have had built-in for years.

on my H/K receiver its called "night mode".

4. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
  5. difficultrun

difficultrun Mentor

Feb 17, 2007
    Thanks Brant. I'm in the market to add an audio system and was hoping to wait until Dolby Volume was available and the price dropped a little bit. However, maybe I should pull the trigger and look for something much cheaper with dynamic range control. Does it work well at eliminating the volume spikes on the annoying commercials?

thanks again.

6. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    it works fine for me.

its basically just a normalizer, and there are two or three different levels of it on my receiver.

its not as fancy as dolby volume is described to be, but certainly less expensive than those new receivers.

7. The Scotsman

The Scotsman AllStar

Sep 1, 2007
    According to Dolby.com and some learned members of this forum, Dolby Digital Plus could be implemented on some existing D* receivers seamlessly. Those who have advanced AVRs could enjoy DD+ 5.1 sound with enhanced resolution if HDMI is used. Even 7.1 is possible with movies that were made with a 7.1 sound track. Legacy DD 5.1 uses less bandwidth, so D* wouldn't have to find extra space for it in the transmission.

I tried to stir up interest in DD+ in this forum a few months back, but at least half of the responses were negative, even hostile. As I understand it, some current D* receivers could be updated to DD+ capability by a firmware or software update.