1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else annoyed with the automatic rewind after fast forwarding?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tw0053, Sep 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tw0053

tw0053 Cool Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Anyone else feel the same way about the rewind that happens after fast forwarding? The other day is really the first time it I've used it heavily while I was trying to catch up to real time during the cowboys/bears game on Sunday. Every time I fast forwarded in between plays I would have to stop fast forwarding halfway through or after the next play to be at the time of the next snap when I hit play. Is there a way to get it back to the old fast forward? I find it bothersome after perfecting a technique of fast forwarding through commercials the old way.

2. CousCous

CousCous Legend

Sep 17, 2006
    No.. That's a feature I wanted and I'm glad we have it now.

3. wings91

wings91 Cool Member

Sep 25, 2007
    I like the autorewind, but it should only be active on level 3 or 4 FF. FF1 is usuless, it almost feel slower. FF2 is slow enough that you don't need the rewind.

I was watching a football game also, and you have to overshoot where you want to stop so that it starts playing in the right spot. Sometimes, I ended up seeing most of the play.

DAVE

4. tw0053

tw0053 Cool Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Me too. I ended up seeing Romo's interception before I actually watched the play.

5. gregv12

gregv12 New Member

Sep 25, 2007
    i noticed it too - doing the exact same thing.....

Tivo used to do it - but not when FF at only 1x, which is how i usually FF to get to the next play.....

The HR20 seems to back up the same amount, no matter how fast you were FF'ing....So if ya only FF at 1x for like 5-10 seconds.....it backs ya up to almost before you began! - DOH!!!

6. eneg

eneg Mentor

Mar 14, 2007
    I hate it!

A few CE's ago, there was an option for it.
    That was the best of all worlds.
    I hope they bring us that option back so I can get rid of it!
    Did I mention that I HATE IT!

Eneg

7. micky76ag

micky76ag AllStar

Feb 18, 2007
    Check out these threads.

I believe the prevailing opinion is that jump back is very, very good for faster fast-forwards and very, very, very bad for the slowest fast-forward.

thread

thread

thread

thread

8. fiveputts

fiveputts AllStar

Feb 13, 2007
    From an old Tivo user who is used to this autocorrection and likes it: you have to perfect the "close-your-eyes-while-you-hit-play" manuever. This avoids seeing the play before the autocorrection.

While autocorrection is not ideal for FFing between plays, it helps a ton (IMO) FFing thru commercials.

9. dnemec123

dnemec123 Legend

Jul 19, 2007
    Hillsboro, OR
    Um, when watching NFL football, use the 30 sec slip button instead of the FF button.

It's almost exactly 30 seconds between the end of a play to the snap of the next play.

I, personally, like the "trick play" feature of the FF.

Dale

10. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I love it.

Mike

11. wakajawaka

wakajawaka Godfather

Sep 27, 2006
    30-sec slip works real well for FF between plays, it's faster and it almost always gets you right at the beginning of the snap. Doesn't work for hurry-up offences though...but then again you don't need it! I only use the FFx3 for commercials, where I LOVE the auto-correct.

12. fiveputts

fiveputts AllStar

Feb 13, 2007
    "The HR20 seems to back up the same amount, no matter how fast you were FF'ing....So if ya only FF at 1x for like 5-10 seconds.....it backs ya up to almost before you began! - DOH!!!"

I disagree. I've been keeping tabs on this and, on my machine at least, FF1 appears to jump back about 3 seconds, and each FF speed jumps back a little more.

I agree it's unnecessary at FF1 but given the choice of NO autocorrection or correction at all speeds, I'll take all speeds.

13. kmkraft_1974

kmkraft_1974 Legend

Feb 13, 2006
    30-sec slip might work well for typical football plays, but isn't so great for other sports....

would be nice to be able to press rewind to come out of FF1 with no jump back.

14. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Couldn't disagree more. The FF autocorrect was one of the best improvements D* made to the HR20.

15. kmerlo

kmerlo Cool Member

Jun 21, 2007
    The other problem i've noticed is that on the Mpeg4 channels the 30 sec slip backs up as well. It doesn't back up on the Mpeg2 channels. For instance watching the game on ESPNHD last night there was no backup using the 30 second slip. However watching the Sunday night football game on NBC when using the 30 second slip it would backup a few seconds.

16. Mickey

Mickey Mentor

Oct 26, 2005
    Coming from a Tivo platform, I like the FF autocorrect. Another great feature basically copied from the Tivo....

Is this thread sounding more and more like a poll all the time?

17. Spartn1

Spartn1 Cool Member

Jul 17, 2007
    I think the back up feature probably works swell for commercials, but I agree that it is horrible for football games. On Sunday it was bad enough watching the Eagles destroy the Lions, but fast forwarding and having to watch them score ff first just so the auto rewind would start at the right place was downright annoying. I'd like to be able to turn this option off and on.

18. montag

montag Cool Member

Sep 14, 2007
    I disagree. This past weekend was my first football weekend with the HR20 (coming from the HR10-250). This "slip" feature sucks! If you hit it at the very end of one play, you are taken into the middle or the end of the next play. It definetly is more than a 30 second slip. TiVo has this perfected. D's version is awful. To help, I'd hit 30 second slip and as it finishes its "slip" I'd hit the replay button. I still wasn't perfect but it helped.

I'd much rather have a 30 second skip and not this "slip" nonsense.

19. redram38

redram38 Icon

Dec 6, 2005
    Millington Tn
    I like it like it was on Tivo. I hate it the way it is on the HR20. If they cannot change FF1 to not backup I wish they could at least give us the option to disable it. Like it is I would not use it. I record most of my sports not in HD on the R15 mainly due to this.

20. jcw48

jcw48 Cool Member

Feb 19, 2007
    I love the feature but agree that it should be able to be switched off. No reason that it couldn't be customized, allowing the user to decide if they want to use it on 1x, 2x etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.