1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else getting calls from Directv re: equipment upgrade needed?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Truffles100, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 7, 2007 #1 of 39
    Truffles100

Truffles100 AllStar

Jan 26, 2007
    So I've had my 2 HR20-700s for almost 1 year now as well as the Slimline dish. My BBCs have been in place for several months also.

I get a voicemail last night from Directv indicating I need to upgrade my dish and receivers or I'll lose my HD broadcast. It's indicating the upgraded equipment would be free..

Has anyone else gotten this message?

2. Dec 7, 2007 #2 of 39
    Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    +1

I first received a call about 4 months ago. Called DirecTV to confirm I have an AT9, HR20, H21, etc, etc, etc.

2 weeks ago I got another call :mad:. At this point I'm just ignoring. :)

3. Dec 7, 2007 #3 of 39
    ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    But it's FREE!!
    ;)

4. Dec 7, 2007 #4 of 39
    dconfer

dconfer Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    If they would call me I would get another HR20/HR21 if it was free.

5. Dec 7, 2007 #5 of 39
    Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    I imagine they'd catch on. :)

6. Dec 7, 2007 #6 of 39
    Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    you sure?? they already don't know what equipment he has... :lol:

7. Dec 7, 2007 #7 of 39
    69hokie

69hokie Icon

Sep 23, 2006
    I got the call also. Since it was the second one I'd had in the past six months, I sent them an email asking them to change their records to indicate that I had a slimline already installed. Got the response back that said they were sorry about the calls and that their records already indicated I had the slimline installed so no change was needed....go figure! Nice control over their auto phone service!!

8. Dec 7, 2007 #8 of 39
    glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    Nice control over your temper !!

2 calls in 6 months get you this worked up ?

:confused:

9. Dec 7, 2007 #9 of 39
    brentley

brentley New Member

Oct 1, 2007
    SF Bay Area CA
    People get worked up over calls to home for even less. :)

My wife is one of them.

When she was an editor for one of the largest newspapers in this area we would get calls from their telemarketing group trying to get us to subscribe to their paper, which we already did get. Talk about someone going non-linear.

10. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    When I'm at my parent's house my Mom has a fit if a certain charity calls and she see's it on the callerid box. :)

I'm sitting there thinking to myself - Just don't answer it ! What's the big deal ?

11. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Is this an indication that they are phasing out Mpeg2 HD transmisions and all the Tivo units? I would imagine that right now they are thinking it would be a good idea to move Discovery, UHD and HDnet etc. to mpeg4 and free up a whole bunch of bandwidth on 110.

12. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    No. Not an indication of anything.

13. Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    I wish they would call me with a free HR21-700 upgrade. :)

14. JBernardK

JBernardK Legend

Aug 16, 2006
    Hey, its not really free. You are committed to paying $480 if you don't like it and cancel. that works out to $20 per month for the next two years.

15. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Haven't gotten a call that I know of, Mrs. Shadow would know.

16. 69hokie

69hokie Icon

Sep 23, 2006
    Not sure what it was about my comment that made you think I was worked up...I was not at all bothered. No hassle at all, just decided to send them an email and was surprised that their auto phone call system apparently isn't linked to account records as the message said and thought that was a loose way to run a railroad...or a satellite service customer service.

17. cashoe

cashoe Legend

Apr 26, 2007
    I got the call last friday evening while I was out and heard it on my voicemail Saturday morning.

Just after 8 AM I called DirecTV, and the frontline rep seemed rather confused about the fact that they called me. I mentined the message stated FREE equpment upgrade, and that i still had TWO active HR10's. I was passed from her to retention!?

The retention rep was very helpful, if a little amused by the fact I was passed to her department, but she would see what she could do to help me.

Without me really asking she said she couldn't give me 2 free HR20's, bt she would give me one for $199 with free shipping, and she would immediately credit my account for the $199. Then she asked if that Monday (2 days later) was soon enough for my install.

So, 2 days later I'm enjoying a brand-new HR21-700B, and eagerly waiting the next call to replace my last HR-10.

Yes, I know I was VERY lucky, and I know I am most likely not goig to get a second deal like that anytime soon.

Just another winner in CSR roulette.

:lol: :eek2:

18. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I wouldn't mind the call although I don't think they know what equipment I have. I sent them an e-mail a few days ago to find out what type of dish was installed when I had Mover's Connection performed last fall. I can't see the dish from the ground as it is over the peak and behind a chimney. My reply was that I need to call as they could not find that information for me. When I called, I was told that they thought it was a triple-LNB round dish. Since I don't have HD, that is a possibility, but it would be nice to know for sure.

- Merg

19. davido

davido Mentor

Jul 2, 2007
    Just 4 months earlier, I got a HR20-700 for $20 to upgrade my HR10-250. I didn't have to return it, so when I got a 2nd HDTV, I re-activated the HR10-250.

A few nights ago, I got the call, and at the end, it said press '1' to speak to a rep ... so I did, and I'm scheduled for a free HD DVR, install scheduled next week.

FYI - I'm in the Los Angeles DMA.

20. shelland

shelland Legend

Jul 10, 2007
    If we don't know the number, we don't answer - which is easily 90% of the calls to our phone.

Can anyone say what number the "upgrade" call comes from? We may have gotten the call and ignored it! Or do they leave a message?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.