1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Anyone else having trouble recording the PBA on ESPN on Sunday Afternoons?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ffemtreed, Jan 22, 2012.

Tags:
  1. ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    It started happening right around xmas time. No matter what I do to record the PBA on ESPN it won't record. I just get a 1 second program in my list and it stops for no reason. I have tried multiple DVR's on the national release and still can't get the PBA to record.

Another thing is when I watch it live NONE of the dvr functions work. I am talking about basic's like pause/rewind. I can't even pause bowling to go get another beer, good thing they have long commercials.

Today was the tipping point of frustration for me, I wanted to watch bowling and the football game was on at the same time, so I recorded the football game and watched bowling live since i had no other choice. It was good until ESPN starting scrolling the score of the football game......... FRUSTRATION!!!!!!!

I have no problems with any other shows that I know of, but week after week I can't record PBA bowling.

I check the history / to do lists and can't find any reason why it would record for 1 second and then just stop leaving a blank playing in my list.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    No help to you here, but my dad records it every week with no issues on an HR20-700.

Perhaps you need to unplug the DVR for about 5 minutes, then start it back up.
    It sounds like its crapping out when it loads ESPN's interactive content (the scoreguide).

Try switching to channel 206 for ESPN, and IMMEDIATELY hitting the EXIT button to prevent it from loading the interactive content, and see it that helps.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    That's one of the oddest problems I've ever heard of.

Only thing I can suggest is clearing nvram. Go to channel 1, wait for it to completely load then press red red blue blue green yellow.

Most likely someone will come up with a better solution.

4. ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    I have done the normal rebooting, unplugging and etc. I have tried to manually record it once the program starts but it still stops immediately. The little red recording circle appears and disappears right before my eyes.

I will try the exit thing next week just to see if I can get it to record.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Had you tried clearing nvram before? Unplugging and such would not clear it.

6. ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    Yes, I have. I usually do that when I notice my receiver acting slow.

7. Jive Turkey

Jive Turkey Legend

Sep 5, 2011
    How about starting the recording before PBA starts? Set up a recording then go into options and tell it start 5 minutes early, just to see what happens.

There have been quite a few complaints about DVR functions not working on ESPN in the last two months but I haven't seen one where a recording wouldn't work.

8. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006

9. ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    Thanks! I have not tried starting the recording early. I'll give it a try next weekend.

10. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I'd clear the Guide. Two resets within 30 minutes.

Also, post time and channel, and I'll set a recording to parallel test (which DVR?).

11. montanaxvi

montanaxvi Legend

Oct 2, 2008
    Are you SURE you're on a national release? I had a bunch of problems on ESPN only when running the CE GUI.

12. ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    i am 99% sure I am on the NR. That is why I waited so long to report this problem on this forum. I wanted to wait till my box got the NR so I didn't lose my HDgui by downgrading.

The next scheduled showing is this Sunday 1/29/2011 at 12:30pm on ESPN.

PS -- receivers are HR 22-100 and 21-100

13. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Why not simply post the date and version number?

And: Time and Channel.

Flush Guide. Yay or nay?