1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else think the planned numbering is silly?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by mika911, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    So I read the other day that the new HD channels won't have new numbers. They will simply be paired with the SD counterpart. I don't like this. I'd rather have an area with the HD channels back to back, to discover new things. Now I won't even know where to find all the HD channels and will only watch the ones where I watch a SD version.

Furthermore, some HD channels aren't identical to SD version, so what is the point then?

Plus, I can imagine recordings will get complicated. Your thoughts?

2. Thunder7

Thunder7 Legend

Nov 16, 2005
    I have no issue with it...this is how the locals work now...no biggie. At least I wont have to remember new numbers....then I just "hide" the SD channels so they dont show up on the list (just like i do now for the locals)

3. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    It's been working fine for over a year for HD locals and the full time RSNs. I see no problem with continuing with that model. I personally would like to have the channels mirrored all together somewhere but if not it's fine.

4. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    That is how I was hoping DirecTV would do it.

Also now knowing that DirecTV will be adding the option to remove the SD version if there is matching HD and SD channels will make it even better. So any channels that are in full time 16x9 I will just remove the SD version and be good to go.

5. ejkuhl

ejkuhl Mentor

Jun 11, 2007
    As I understand it, all HD channels that have the same number as the SD will be simulcast(all same programming).

If you want to see just HD in the guide, you can hit guide twice and select the "HD channels" category.

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I personally like the idea of the HD channels having the same channel numbers as the SD channels. There is another thread discussing whether or not the entire channel line-up should be re-organized, and there are certainly some good arguments for doing that (and also for not doing it). But either way, I would still agree with putting the HD and SD channels together on the same number.

Carl

7. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I think the paired numbering is the only smart way to go, I don't need to learn new numbers and for D* it is very wise because down the road the SD versions will be discontinued and we will be back to a single channel again.

8. dan8379

dan8379 Godfather

Feb 13, 2006
    So for the channels that aren't direct simulcasts (like Food, MHD, HGTV, etc) will they have unique channel numbers and not be the same as the SD channels?

9. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    They would have to as they are not the same channel.

10. msmith198025

msmith198025 Member of the Year

Jun 28, 2007
    Its not that hard to work around as a poster stated above, hit guide twice and go to the HD filter. bingo, all hd channels in one spot;)

11. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Or leave the guide filter enabled as the first press, and you will have it right there.

Or setup a favorites list, with just the HD networks that you want.

12. Fish Man

Fish Man Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Currently DirecTV only maps HD and SD channels to the same channel number when they are bona fide "simulcasts" of one another. Exactly the same content except one is in SD and the other in HD.

Many of the channels being added soon fall into the "simulcast" category.

Frankly, I like this scheme better than any other I can think of.

Same content, same channel number!

Least confusing way to do it, IMHO! :)

13. haggis444

haggis444 Legend

Jan 20, 2004
    Earl,

Won't this feature coming in the next HR20-700 CE help fix this issue?

I would assume all HD receivers will eventually get this feature.

14. mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    Well DirecTV is making the right decision, since everyone else in the world likes their idea :) I'll have to remember I'm alone in my thinking, whenever I get frustrated by it, and then I'll feel better.

I just enjoy being able to flick through the HD channels, something I would never do with SD. And switching favorites lists isn't easy enough.

I really wish they could mirror all the HD channels together.

I certainly won't be "hiding," the SD channels either. Shows that are 4x3 I'd much rather record on the SD channel and save hard drive space unless it was a show I was crazy about getting the best picture possible (since the HD simulcasts always look better).

15. keith_benedict

keith_benedict Godfather

Jan 11, 2007
    True. You can always remove the SD from your Favorites list, but for those of us with DVR's, when I do a search for a show and it's on one of those channels with an SD and HD feed, I have no way of knowing which channel I should record without going and looking at the program description.

16. msmith198025

Jun 28, 2007
    And again thats easy enough with the HD list filter. Its really easy to get to if you need the steps id be more than happy to give them to you.

17. msmith198025

Jun 28, 2007
    Yeah i leave my filters enabled on the first press. I got used to it before they gave the option to change and its handy when issues like this come up

18. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Agreed as long as the channels that are added that are not simulcast are given distinct numbering in the 70's or whatever. Because they have to be considered new channels not HD alternatives.

19. Fish Man

Fish Man Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Agreed.

(I have little doubt they won't "double up numbers" on non-simulcast channels.)

Also, I'm another that won't "hide" the SD versions, for the following reasons:

• HD is still a "young" technology, and technical problems, especially with locals, either with the station itself or DirecTV's backhaul are somewhat common. In the case where a station's HD version takes a dump, I can use the SD as an alternate.
    • I still record 480i programming off the HD version to save disk space.
    • The Ka satellites carrying D* HD are still a bit more susceptible to rain fade than the Ku birds. The SD versions become a "rain fade" backup in that case.

20. DFDureiko

DFDureiko Godfather

Feb 20, 2006
    speaking of which. a few times over the past year, a show starts out in SD 4:3 and five to 15 minutes into the show it snaps to HD 16:9.......what's up with that?? (on locals)
    Dan
    Hartford CT locals

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.