1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else with recent On Demand speed issues?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by z28lt1, Mar 11, 2013.

1. z28lt1

z28lt1 Legend

Aug 28, 2007
    I did a search, the newest thread was a year or so old.

I have FIOS internet at 35/35 and up until a month or so ago, a 1 hour On Demand HD show would generally take about 40 minutes to download. After giving it a minute or two buffer, I could watch live.

Lately, a 1 hour show takes a little over 2 hours to download. That means I have to wait over an hour to start watching it. I've checked the speeds using the ethernet connection that the receiver uses (DECA) and it seems to be exactly as advertised. Is this something on DirecTV's end or is Verizon throttling me somehow? I found no reports online of any other FIOS customers having trouble.

I have had no network changes recently, which is why I'm confused over the change in speed from very usable to unusable.
    I've tried this on my HR20 and one of my HR21s, Same results. Haven't yet tried on the HR24

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    The VOD source is controlled by the Channel provider - So It depends on the host server and routing to get to you. Speed can vary by how many users on the server and how many hop's it takes to get back to you.

15mps is atop speed for the DVR rj45 hardware limit. So your 35/35 helps but is still held back by the ports on both ends.

3. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I get wildly different download speeds depending on the channel. I can generally download in faster than real time, but sometimes it's more like the half speed that you're seeing.

4. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    I have to give my HR34 like ten minutes now before I can watch the movie, otherwise it will say Buffering.

I have 10 Mbps.

5. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    How have you checked speeds?

Many ISPs have now set up to show 'as advertised' speeds on Speedtest.net by giving a bigger pipeline for the short duration of the test, then throttling that back to yuck.

Other than downloading a big file (other than directv) and timing it, I don't know a good way to check on throughput in a meaningful way.

Of course, you've reset the router, no?

6. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    [​IMG]

7. z28lt1

z28lt1 Legend

Aug 28, 2007
    I use the DSLReports Java speed test http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?java=1

Since it downloads files of increasing size (stopping with different sizes depending upon your pipe) it seems to be the most accurate. For me, it will typically test two small files, then a 1.x megabyte 2.x megabyte file, a 5.x Meg file an 11.x meg file and than top out at a 19.x megabyte file. so, while this is still much smaller than an entire HD show, it's much more than the typical flash tests download.

I have rebooted the router, and switch as well.

I appreciate everyone's input. I'll keep reading replies and testing new things. I know the speed is not consistent, but to have gone from fairly constant ratios of less than 1:1 (minutes to download:minutes of HD) to fairly constant ratios of more than 2:1 seems like something is up. Now I need to figure out if it is DirecTV, Verizon, or me.

8. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Speed Test #104265206 by dslreports.com
    Run: 2013-03-11 15:25:10 EST
    Download: 9479 (Kbps)
    Upload: 762 (Kbps)
    In kilobytes per second: 1157.1 down 93 up
    Tested by server: 56 java
    User: 2 @ dslreports.com
    User's DNS: ptd.net

9. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Is there "a show" that we all can try?
    I find SHO to take longer, while Starz and others not as much.

10. z28lt1

z28lt1 Legend

Aug 28, 2007
    I can find a shorter and free one tonight and post tomorrow for anyone else who wants to try. Appreciate the effort. I'm normally downloading HBO or Cinemax movies for me and 1 hour "shows" for the wife. If anyone has the time (and a valid subscription), I'm currently downloading "Safe House" on Cinemax. 5 hours and counting, 1 hour and 31 minutes downlaoded

Here's the speed test I just ran
    [​IMG]

11. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Yeah, Showtime is terrible.

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    This was "simple", as I have HBO and pulled up The Lucky One and used the watch now option. HD at 5 mins shows it had downloaded 7 mins.
    My connection is a 12 Mb/s that tests 11+.
    At 8 mins, it has 11 recorded.

At the 11 mins, it showed 16 downloaded and I've deleted this show [I've already watched it :lol:]

13. z28lt1

z28lt1 Legend

Aug 28, 2007
    Thanks so much. I'll try the exact same thing tonight. Seems like it is not a DirecTV thing. May need to lob a call into Verizon.

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Doesn't look like it's on the DirecTV end.

I did have speed problems with a cable modem, but changing ISPs has "resolved this" ever since.

15. z28lt1

z28lt1 Legend

Aug 28, 2007
    Just as a follow up, it appears my (or the) issue is with Cinemax. I tried The Lucky One (don' t have watch now as I'm 0x62c but checked progress in the list) and my speeds are almost exactly the same as yours: at 5 minutes it had 7 recorded, at 9 minutes it had 12 recorded. I then tried "Girls" (as it was on the main homescreen for HBO on demand) It offered the higher quality or faster download option. I picked higher quality and at 10 minutes in, 12 minutes were recorded. I went back to the history to see what we've grabbed the last month or two to see where I might have had a problem with HBO, and there weren't any recent HBO recordings, I must have been mistaken, although I did notice the "History" was not completely accurate.

So, I'll amend my issue to a Cinemax issue, which makes me feel better that it is not my network or my ISP.

Thank you everyone for helping and particularly for veryoldschool for doing some testing for me.

16. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    I thought Directv hosted the VOD on its own servers?

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    They do, and I've seen the picture of the "stacks of servers" supporting this.

"What I think" was meant be "The VOD source is controlled by the Channel provider" is that each provider is supplying the content to DirecTV, and DirecTV isn't transcoding/recoding it.

18. Datagg

Datagg Legend

May 17, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    I usually run pretty quick.... Got much faster with new RT-N56U ASUS.
    Running at this time...

23.6 Mbps Down
    18.61 Mbps Up

19. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    What measuring stick?

20. Datagg

Datagg Legend

May 17, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    Ran Speakeasy. DSL reports. Usually things a bit better, yet internet been a bit funky do to work around the area. I have cox ultimate here in AZ.