1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone ever heard of hooking up an outdoor antenna to the satellite dish?

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by ld323, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ld323

ld323 Cool Member

Sep 13, 2007
    I'm trying to get all my local channels for free (ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, FOX, CW) instead of paying the extra $5/mth, and the indoor antenna rabbit ears are not doing the trick. I mean it works well for NBC, FOX, and CW. But PBS has snow, ABC has static, and CBS is totally unwatchable.

I just spoke with a broadcast engineer at my local CBS station and he advised me to hook up a cheap outdoor TV antenna to my satellite dish. This signal would ride on the same coax going into my house. Apparently he's done this before and it allowed him to get all the free local channels with much better reception.

Anyone here ever heard of this?

2. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    Search the forums for "diplexer" and you'll learn a lot.

My two cents: The clip-ons aren't that great. Spend a few more dollars and get a standalone antenna for better performance. YMMV.

3. Bijou Media

Bijou Media Mentor

Jul 28, 2007
    Don't get the clip ons, they are junk. Invest in a good quality antenna.

4. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    The clip on antennae are not only junk but they are likely not any cheaper than a real antenna.

Diplexing is no longer trivial in the DIRECTV realm. It can be done with care. DIRECTV is working on equipment to make things better/easier again; look for the SWM (single wire multiswitch) to be available later this year.

Cheers,
    Tom

5. ld323

ld323 Cool Member

Sep 13, 2007
    The problem I have with a stand-alone outdoor antenna is that I will have to drill another hole in the house for the coax...

6. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    The complexity of combining the OTA into the sat cable is dependent on your setup. What type dish do you have. Do you get HD? If you have only an SD setup, diplexing the OTA into your cable in not very difficult. If your have an HD setup with the new HD channels from the new satallite, then it is a little more complicated.

7. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    In a word, nope.

To elaborate, the goofy clip-on dishes require diplexers to piggyback their signal through the existing satellite cable. If instead you erect a "real" OTA antenna on the roof ... it should be able to use the same sort of diplexers the same way. There's nothing magic about clip-ons!

8. ld323

ld323 Cool Member

Sep 13, 2007
    DISH Network without HD, just basic... I guess SD means standard definition?

9. ld323

ld323 Cool Member

Sep 13, 2007

Actually my DISH is pole mounted and quite a distance from the house. So putting an external antenna on the roof wouldn't be advantageous. Can't I just tie a small antenna to the same pole?

Where should I go to purchase a "clip-on" and "diplexer" .. ? Radio Shack, Frys?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.