1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Anyone getting impossible results with Skyangel's Internet Speed Test?

Discussion in 'Sky Angel (Closed Forum)' started by MRC Ohio, Dec 23, 2007.

1. MRC Ohio

MRC Ohio New Member

Jun 16, 2007
    I used the internet speed test offered by Skyangel and it gave me an INSTANT result of 17.94 Mbps on my very old (300 Mhz) computer. Every other test Ive tried has given something more realistic (something less than 5 Mbps) and has taken several seconds to perform. I hope Skyangel isn't trying to mislead people to get them to subscribe!

2. Jashobeam

Jashobeam AllStar

Jul 10, 2005
  3. Pinion413

Pinion413 Icon

Oct 20, 2007
    Tried it just for giggles. Told me instantly my connection was 3.9ishMbps. Close, but my connection's 3.0Mbps DSL and runs about 2.8-2.9 on a good day, 2.7ish otherwise. A real speed test requires a bit more than a second to determine, as you stated above. :)

They very well could be trying to mislead, or they simply don't have the bandwidth to do a real test, the latter being kinda scary if they are an IPTV provider. :lol:

[​IMG]

4. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Yeah the results on the Sky Angel test are anything but accurate, but in the opposite direction for me. I'm on a 15Mb connection, the the test is showing just under 4Mb.

From Sky Angel:

The result of your current connection speed test is:

* 3861.37 kb (kilobits) per second
    * 3.77 Mb (megabits) per second

Now this is more like it.

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 14.35 mbps (1837 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 976 kbps (122 KB/sec transfer rate)

or

[​IMG]

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    http://www.skyangel.com/speedtest/default.aspx?ws=v&
    * 1946.13 kb (kilobits) per second
    * 1.9 Mb (megabits) per second

Cnet: 1396.3 Kbps
    SpeedTest: 1548/371
    [​IMG]

Even the lengths to the longer tests don't seem long enough to guarantee that speed for something like an IPTV service that wants a lot of bandwidth for a long time. Hopefully SkyAngel is overspecing the speed needed to run one of their boxes (not a bad idea).

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    VZ finally updated my service ... for $8 less per month (maybe I should put that toward SkyAngel IPTV. :D).
    The speed test is still a bit exagerated, although SkyAngel now has a link to SpeedTest on their test page.
    (They need to update the code to keep it there.)

http://www.skyangel.com/speedtest/default.aspx?ws=v&
    * 3923.65 kb (kilobits) per second
    * 3.83 Mb (megabits) per second

[​IMG]