1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Anyone getting the new Apple TV?

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by Chris Blount, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Mar 8, 2012 #1 of 19
    Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    So it anyone planning to get the new Apple TV? I will probably get one for my home theater room mainly because 1080p will probably look better on my 106" screen. :)

I have another Apple TV in one of my bedrooms which I will probably not replace because it's hooked to a 720p TV.

More information about the new Apple TV: http://store.apple.c...family/apple_tv

2. Mar 8, 2012 #2 of 19
    MRinDenver

MRinDenver Legend

Feb 3, 2003
    Actually I am getting two, one for the LR and one for the MBR. And a new iPad for me and for my wife. I have a first gen apple tv that I will move to the basement, I guess! I have been waiting a long time to make this move! Looking forward to streaming XM, spotify and more!

3. Mar 9, 2012 #3 of 19
    fortnerw

fortnerw Mentor

May 6, 2006
    I am sure the Apple TV is great. I will stick with my Roku XDS. It fits my iptv purpose better than the rest at this time. Have fun with your new device!!!

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    While Apple TV is impressive I too will be sticking with my Roku.

5. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Same here, and they both do the same thing but ROKU costs less.

6. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    What's funny is I have both the Apple TV and Roku and I use them both. The Roku is definitely great for what it does. Large selection of channels and good quality.

The Apple TV (at least for me) is great for renting movies. The quality tends to be a bit better than the Roku since the Apple TV is able to buffer more data (basically the entire movie). I also use the Apple TV to stream from my iPad and iPhone and now that I can view digital copies, it makes the Apple TV even more valuable.

7. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    What is the price of admission on renting movies and TV shows on the Apple compared to what you can rent on the ROKU from Amazon? If it's cheaper on the Apple TV, I may need to pick up one

8. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    Prices are the same. As I said before though, if you have digital copies included with Blu-Ray's you buy, the iTunes store will match it (for free) and make it available on the Apple TV for viewing. Much easier than ripping the disc and converting it.

9. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    For me, it's all about content. If Apple tv doesn't offer more (and better) movies for a comparable price I'll stick with Roku and Amazon Prime.

10. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    I did manage to the get the new Apple TV yesterday. All of my purchased movies are now 1080p which is kind of nice. I looked at some samples last night and I must admit the picture quality on Apple TV 1080p movies rival Blu-Ray's. Very crisp and clear as they should be for HD. Not bad at all!

11. dualsub20061367066128

dualsub20061367066128 New Member

Jun 12, 2011
    I'm not getting a new Apple TV. In fact, my last remaining Apple TV 2 goes on the shelf as soon as my Roku XS gets here.

I can't imagine that Amazon rentals will be too far behind the 1080p that iTunes offers, but more than that the Apple TV doesn't offer me the same channel options.

I watch TWiT and some Revision 3 shows. I stream international news and Hulu Plus. I do a lot of things with my Roku that I simply can't do with my Apple TV.

I realize that a lot of the content that you find as channels on the Roku are watchable through iTunes podcasts, but it's not complete and it's certainly not as convenient.

Roku for me.

12. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    We finally picked up an Apple TV recently to share between my father's TV and mine. We have different accounts, but it is easy enough to move the Apple TV from one room to another and also easy now to switch accounts on it until we decide whether to invest in another. My Blu-ray player already does Amazon so that wasn't of concern to me, and I don't expect Apple to ever contract to support the Amazon streaming directly.

13. lucky13

lucky13 DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 27, 2006
    Maryland,...
    I can play streaming video from my iPad (HBOGo, MLBTV) on my Samsung SmartTV with a 30pin-HDMI cable.
    I get Netflix directly on the Sammy.
    Aside from ditching the cord between the iPad and the TV, what's the advantage of AppleTV?

14. gjrhine

gjrhine Legend

May 15, 2002
    All the other things it can do. you will see when you do the research.

15. lucky13

lucky13 DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 27, 2006
    Maryland,...
    From what I've seen, I can get most of what Apple TV provides on my existing equipment and subscriptions. I have little interest in streaming music or photos to my TV.

Perhaps I'm missing something, or maybe my preferences are different from those of AppleTV users.

I was just trying to find out what people like about it. Sorry if my initial post was poorly phrased.

16. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    That's a pretty big advantage in itself, IMO. Trying to pry the iPad out of my wife's hands when she's reading a book on it is virtually impossible!

17. lucky13

lucky13 DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 27, 2006
    Maryland,...
    :)
    My wife's happy with her iPhone. I'm usually the one holding onto the iPad.

18. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Not likely here - my Roku has everything we watch available on it.

19. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Update: Intel may ditch OnCue IPTV service project if it can't find an investor

If you were sincerely hoping to buy an Intel set-top box this year, those dreams are looking a little more unlikely. The chip giant may scrap its not-cable product if it can't find a backer to help fund and distribute it, according to All Things D. This comes after Corporate VP Erik Huggers admitted that the service wouldn't do as hoped and free users from the yoke of TV, while new CEO Brian Kraznich has said he's "cautious" about getting into the TV game.

Full Story Here

[​IMG]
    Engadget