1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone, I mean anyone, have an external HD on a THR22-100 or HR22?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by frankc23, Dec 29, 2011.

1. frankc23

frankc23 New Member

Dec 14, 2011
    I'm hoping someone has a stable working external HD with the new THR22-100. If so, could you please give exact model numbers. Or even if you have one working with the HR22.

I've posted previously and can't seem to get a stable external HD with the following equipment: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB SATA III hard drive model WD2002FAEX,Thermaltake BlacX eSATA Docking station.

The problem is: the external HD configs and models mentioned as working in the eSATA FAQ for the HR22 are no longer available.

I will now begin the process of trying different cables, enclosures, HD models. Let's hope it is the cable!

Frank

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I've got external HDDs on 2 HR22's working flawlessly. I am currently using WD 2T EURS drives and the TT BlacX enclosures. Before I bought the BlacX enclosures, I was using ANTEC MX-1 enclosures. I have also used the EVDS and the EADS model WD drives as well with these same DVR's....I would venture to guess it could be an issue with the SATAIII drive. Can you jumper it to force it to SATA II mode? It is also possible that they don't have the support for advanced format drives in the THR22's firmware yet, IIRC the chipsets only support SATA I speeds anyway. Support for the newer advanced format drives was added to the HR line sometime in the last year or so.

I would not recommend using the 7200 rpm Black Caviar drives in a passive enclosure, I believe they would get too warm. Try an AVGP model drive instead

3. frankc23

frankc23 New Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Thanks! So just to confirm: you have the WD20EURS model hard drive, which is 5400 rpm? It is part of the WD AV-GP line. Correct?

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Yes on all parts. I have successfully used the EADS drive, the EVDS drives, and now have moved on to the EURS drives. There is an EARS drive as well, but its not rated for 24/7 AV use, but neither were the EADS drives. I've been doing this for a few years as you can tell by the different models. Going on 5 1/2 years or so that I have been using external drives with the HD DVR's. I have not tried any of the new 6GB/sec SATA III drives yet, but since the chipsets in the dvrs are only SATA I last I checked, its seems ridiculous to spend the extra money on those drives.