1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone in Raleigh able to tune to 50-3 WRAL weather channel

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by spidey, Mar 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spidey

spidey Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    For what ever reason when I tune in to 50-3 I am getting programming from some network E/I??? Anyone able to get local wral 50.3 weather??

2. John W

John W Icon

Dec 19, 2005
    Isn't it 5.3?

3. gabe23

gabe23 Legend

Mar 6, 2007
    Probably too late to help, spidey, but I haven't ever had any problems with 50-3. I don't think I checked it last night, but early this morning it was showing the normal weather loop. I don't know of that network you mentioned, but E/I is the TV rating for Educational/Instructional content...

4. TylerWM94

TylerWM94 Cool Member

Feb 14, 2006
    I've got a question on a related subject. I'm planning to upgrade to HD soon. I was wondering what channels are included with the HD locals from DirecTV (not OTA). Do you get all of the digital subchannels from WRAL and WUNC or just the HD ones (4.1, 5.1)?

Thanks,
    Tyler

5. gabe23

gabe23 Legend

Mar 6, 2007
    Tyler, you get no WUNC and no subchannels. The D* HD package includes 5, 11, 17, 22, and 50. If you want 4 and 28 in hidef, you have to go OTA. In Apex you should be able to pick up all the OTA signals without a big antenna. But honestly, PBS only broadcasts in HD from 8-11PM, and even then, most of the content is upconverted SD stuff. And they reshow the same stuff over and over. Seems like Austin City Limits with Alison Krause & Union Station is on several nights a week, every week...

But it's probably worth getting an antenna to have access the subchannels. I rarely watch them, but sometimes they come in handy. During the NCAA Tourney, WRAL had 4 games at a time when available, albeit in SD. WUNC also has some decent SD content on the subchannels.

6. jamieh1

jamieh1 Hall Of Fame

May 1, 2003
    I believe its now a rule that even sub channels have to carry a certain amount of educational programming.
    Here in the Washington Greenville New Bern NC market, The WITN 24/7 WEATHER CHANNEL on 7.2 has some educational programming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.