1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone see this antenna?

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by projectorguru, Sep 12, 2008.

1. projectorguru

projectorguru Godfather

Mar 5, 2007
    If this is the wrong place to post, I am sorry, I figured I'd go here cuz many of us(especially in the harrisburg pa area,lol) don't have locals in HD. I just wanted to say, I thought this was sketchy at first, but i tried it, and it worked. Even though I had a 80 dollar one that got my one channel(wlyh 15), this one gets me 15, 8, 27, and 21 channels locally in HD. I really couldn't belive it, and still can't, mainly cuz I live in a rea where its hard to get anything, just an FYI.;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw

2. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    This should be moved to the OTA section.

3. CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy Godfather

Apr 11, 2007
    Thanks for posting this. I'm going to give it a try, just for giggles.

4. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    This guy builds a good antenna but makes the mistake of stated the FCC has mandated stations go HDTV.

A common mistake.... There is no HDTV mandate.... The mandate is for ATSC Digital Broadcast (DTV), which is not the same thing as High Definition (HDTV). They are two separate technologies.

5. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    I am certain it will work. It's basically a poorman's Bowtie antenna.

Winegard and Channel Master both make high quality bowtie antennas, and they work well... But the appearance stops most people from raising them IMHO.

6. CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy Godfather

Apr 11, 2007
    I caught that. Was slightly annoyed; but I have to sometimes back up and think, "CorpITGuy, you're an idiot when talking about other stuff". :D

7. projectorguru

projectorguru Godfather

Mar 5, 2007

My main thing is, Why does this work? whats the big difference between a UHF/VHF antenna and a HDTV one?

8. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    No difference at all. Both SD and HD antennae receive the same waveforms and frequencies. The only difference is what's embedded in the signal. The bowtie that he made is a UHF antenna that would have worked just fine with analog or digital, SD or HD.

9. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    you are correct. I think I'll do that. ;)

10. whatchel1

whatchel1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2006
    This is a UHF ant. If you need both YHf & UHF it won't work as well for you.

11. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    YHF: A little-known television broadcast band used primarily by Yuppies and Yalies. ;)

12. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    And Yoopers.

13. STEVEN-H

STEVEN-H Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Also that is a 75 ohm to 300 ohm matching transformer he used. Not a uhf/vhf transformer. Nice try no trophy for that.

14. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    UHF/VHF transformer? What's that?

15. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Looks like his screws were to long for that piece of wood.

16. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    This is a basic homemade version of the quad UHF bowtie array antenna and should work in many instances. There is no screen behind the array, however, which will increase the antenna's overall gain and directivity, especially for people on the fringe area of a TV's radiation pattern. The design of a proper screen reflector (with proper distance behind the array, size, curvature, etc.) could made a world of difference.

Also, get that antenna up as high as possible and aim it directly at the station.. for example, not angled up at the ceiling since these are array antennas which typically work best perpendicular to the transmitting site in phase.

17. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    One other mistake was stating the FCC has mandated the switchover date as the end of 2008.

18. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It probably was at one time.

19. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Would you prefer some cheap capacitor balun solution? A matching transformer is precisely what is needed and an excellent way to connect a 300 ohm antenna to a 75 ohm cable.

20. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    im glad he didnt screw his finger to the antenna:lol: