1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Seen Return of the King Yet?

Discussion in 'The Movies' started by alfbinet, Dec 21, 2003.

1. alfbinet

alfbinet Godfather

May 18, 2002
    What were your impressions? Plan on seeing this on Christmas day when the crowds won't be quite as long.

2. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I saw it last night.....I really liked it!! If you seen 1 and 2 you'll like the last one. Last one is good Jim. :)

3. juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 31, 2003
    great movie..but the ending is a little long(i wont spoil it)

4. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    I saw it last night, and loved it! It was definitely the best movie of the 3 (theatrical versions), but once again, I left after sitting there for more than 3 1/2 hours thinking that it would have been better with the additional 45 minutes or so of footage that will be in the extended edition release on DVD.

But, it's definitely fantastic seeing it on the big screen, and well worth the time! :D

5. alfbinet

alfbinet Godfather

May 18, 2002
    I have both Fellowship and Towers on DVD both the theatrical and extended editions. Am looking forward to King on Christmas day. Thanks for the response. I know the ending is a bit long but what the hell...it probably will be fixed in the "extended" dvd release...but like the others I will get both...I am a marketeers dream.

6. jrjcd

jrjcd Arcane Movie Trivia King DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    ...well, it isn't that the ending isn't so long as there are about six of them...lol-but you have to have at least five of them to tie up the plots...

It, and the subsequent films, are a unique achievement in filmmaking and the Return of the King is a wonderful film.

I liked it a lot, but i didn't like as MUCH as i thought i would(if that makes any sense)...

no spoilers here, but my biggest problem was the disposition of saruman character-it did leave a BIG hole in the film that the sauron concept(you really can't call that eye a character)couldn't carry it alone(plus-you HAVE an actor like christopher lee-you should damn well use him, tho his edited scenes will be in the dvd extended version)...and while Viggo Morteson ably portrayed a man wrestling with the legacy of his birthright in the earlier films, he was strangely uninvolving when it came time to embrace the legacy in this film(again, this is no spoiler, as the movie IS called "The return of the king"...lol)...I would have liked to see arwyn used a bit more strongly in this film, tho i don't know how...

in it's use of special effects, editing, cinematography, set design, it is a stunningly created film and it speaks well of peter jackson that the characters aren't lost in the spectacle....

and if the aragon character is the heart of the film, then sean astin as samwise gangee is certainly the soul- a performance that is worthy of at least an oscer nod in february...

i envy those that had the time to see all three together on trilogy tuesday, as that's how this film should be watched....

and somehow, the thought of King Kong as Jackson's next christmas film as opposed to a new Lord of the Rings film is kinda sad-it's been fun looking forward to them each year and maybe, if all the rights can be worked out, we can see the hobbit by christmas of 2006....

7. invaliduser88

invaliduser88 Welcome to Torchwood DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    All I can same is "incrediable".

On a disturbing note, thedigitalbits web site is reporting a RUMOR that New Line may try and cheap the effects rendering for the extended edition release of ROTK.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html

8. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I re-watched the first two of the series on Sunday in preparation to see ROTK tonite. I have just bought the standard theater release so far. My plan has been to wait until they come out with the 22 disk super grand ultimate collectors version about a year from now rather than buy all the other various versions/sets in the meantime. :lol:

9. alfbinet

alfbinet Godfather

May 18, 2002
    Bogy, watching the extended versions of both films tonight in anticipation of ROTK tomorrow (I hope that is not blasphemous to you). Stellar films. I am a bit old to be a "fan boy" 48 next month but Jackson did achieve something to be proud of.

10. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I have absolutely no problem with the extended versions. I'm looking forward to seeing them myself. As far as I am concerned Jackson can add three hours to every film. I'm just not going to buy every version they release.

As far as being a fan, I am only a about a month and a half short of being 50, and I am a huge fan. Of both the books, and the films. I've had several sets of paperbacks, the leather-bound collectors editions, and yes, I pirated copies for my PDA, since I have bought enough legitimate copies of the books over the years so that I don't feel I am greatly harming JRRT's estate. As my wife told our kids Tuesday evening after seeing ROTK, "Your dad has been waiting to see this movie for over 35 years."

And speaking of ROTK, this is one of the greatest movies ever made. It doesn't matter to me that there are now two similar but separate canons, the books and the films. Even with various elements dropped for time, with other elements placed in a different chronology or location, the message and feel of the books comes through loud and clear. Too many endings? Or as I heard someone comment as we left the theater, "anti-climatic", have people who say these things read the book? The only problem I have with the ending is that it wasn't long enough. One of my favorite parts of the book was left out of the film, in the return to the Shire. Perhaps the extended version will do it right. :D

The only real disappointment I had was that I was the only one who yelled "FRODO LIVES!" when the movie was over. Is there no sense of tradition left? Was I the only old Frodo fan there? :lol:

11. alfbinet

alfbinet Godfather

May 18, 2002
    Bogy, have to go up for dinner now but I will say I loved the film. Was thinking during the first half that I though Fellowship was better. By the end I think this film was. The thought "Frodo Lives" went through my mind as well as I watched the end of the film. Must be our age.

Jackson has made an epic. Sad to see it end. I looked forward to this Christmas time treat. But he ended it in style. And I know I am probably in the minority...on a number of issues and lifestyles but I thought the ending was appropriate. I could see where the first ending could end the film in a satisfying way but I thought all of them were excellent.

12. alfbinet

alfbinet Godfather

May 18, 2002
    Bogy and jrjcd: great comments about the film. I think we three are in sync about this film. Bogy: about the blasphemous comments about "Return of the King" I come from a "Assembly of God" background and naming anything Return of the King, much less a movie (which we were not supposed to watch) was blasphemous. The Assembly is just a smidge right of Southern Baptists.

13. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I got my son two "Lord of the Kings" t-shirts for Christmas. Neat take offs on the Lord of the Rings. One of them reads something like, "One king to rule them all, one king to find them, one spirit to bring them all, and one Lord to bind them." JRRT definitely wrote a book with deep theological implications, as a person of faith. He and C.S. Lewis corresponded regularly about their books. No coincidence that both both Tolkien and Lewis wrote about middle earth.
    Fantastic epic of the struggle between good and evil.

14. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    I tried to get up at the first ending, but the boss made me set for the final 30 minutes of the movie. This movie needed an intermission. it was exhausting. My sleep rater place this movie second to part two.

15. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    I had purposely avoided watching both Fellowship and The Two Towers (I know.... the willpower). I bought the extended versions of both.

Yesterday morning I started watching Fellowship. Then The Two Towers. And then I caught the 9:30 PM show last night.

I'm a twitching mass of goo right now, but wow. THAT is how you do it. Now I get to play with all the extra features on the first two movies' DVDs. Great film, and the third was the best of the three thanks to the massive battles, plot twists, and heroism.

The only pacing problem was the 20 minute epilogue which dragged a little long. Otherwise, a GREAT trilogy that people will still be raving about 25 years from now. BTW, according to Variety's email in my inbox, it has already passed $220 million domestic, so look for this one to be the first to break a Billion worldwide since Titanic came out. I guess their $300 million gamble turned out OK.

16. CoriBright

CoriBright Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 30, 2002
    Bob I'd just like to say I agree with every word...

Our extended DVDs arrived on Christmas Eve, we spent Christmas Day watching both.... and then went to the 12.15pm showing on the Friday.....

I'm just angry the Academy never sees fit to class science fiction and fantasy in the same category as drama. But it certainly outranks Star Wars in my opinion and probably just below in my husband's opinion (there are some who will never be swayed!) Now just how long will we have to wait for the extended ROTK on DVD.... sigh! However many months it is, it will be TOO long.

17. jrjcd

jrjcd Arcane Movie Trivia King DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    personally, i would hope that the academy might see fit to award a special oscar to jackson for his singular achievement-not to be beaton with a wet noodle here, but unfortunately, there were a few movies in 2003 that i would consider better films if put up to ROTK as a stand alone(mystic river, cold mountain, and seabiscuit come to mind), but getting an award for the whole effort would be appropriate, i think...

18. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    As much as I see why they ignored the first two, I expect them to clean up this year. A great story, a great ensemble, perfect direction, and a movie with more heart than ANYTHING that came out last year. Every now and then, the Academy throws the great unwashed masses a bone and picks a popular film. Name one film that deserves to stand above the Trilogy.

This was the movie they said couldn't be made anymore. I hope they finally acknowledge everyone involved. Out of all the movies made last year, how many do you think that you will want to pull off the shelf and watch 25 years from now. Tom Cruise in Dances with Samurai? Uh uh.

19. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Speculation has been that the academy was waiting until the trilogy was done before they gave the oscars that this whole series has deserved. Personally, I think this is a fantasy film in which the special effects add to the characters portrayed, instead of overwhelming them.

20. alfbinet

alfbinet Godfather

May 18, 2002
    The academy needs to look at the three films as a whole...the way Jackson envisioned them as he was making them. This was a phenomominal achievement (jrjcd). The other films may have merit (jrjrcd) but this film put the pieces into a whole. Deserves best picture and best direction.l