1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone tried this????

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by omj, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omj

omj Legend

Jun 28, 2007
  2. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I haven't tried one of these devices in years. I used to use the Terk version. It sucked. It had noise, a crudy picture and drop outs if anyone walked between the transmitter and receiver.

I'd only buy it from a local store so I could return it if it didn't work.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    This is limited to SD

4. MeSue

MeSue Legend

Oct 7, 2007
    FL
    I used one that looked just like this but was from Radio Shack. Used to use it to watch recorded TiVo from the living room while I was on the treadmill in the back bedroom. It was static-y and would fizzle out on occasion due to interference. I eventually replaced it with a second DirecTiVo, hacked for MRV.

5. Directvlover

Directvlover Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    I used the radio shack version of it in our kitchen...it worked pretty good until someone ran the microwave. I wouldn't recommend them. If at all possible run a line and use a remote extender.

6. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    IF it is 2.4 gig, it will also really mess up and be messed up by your WIFI if you have it in the house. I have a nice setup of these devices in a drawer in my basement. They work perfectly....but are useless in my environment (I didn't have wifi when I first got them, and learned the hard way)

7. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Friend of mine has it...it works great except:

1. When his cordless phone rings.
    2. The microwave is on.
    3. He cannot use an 802.11/b/g/n network.

It does work though and the SD picture was very sharp.

8. projectorguru

projectorguru Godfather

Mar 5, 2007
    I have used it and it works fine, no interference issues with mine at all, but the downside is SD only when they come out with HD version, you'll never have to buy another receiver again:lol:

9. Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    I use the "Leapfrog" by Terk as well, and it's fantastic. I use one upstairs and in my basement (I've even tried it outside) and never a problem. I use the AV outs of my HR20 to get a signal to the transmitter, so it's NOT hi-def, but it will transmit an anamorphic signal for 16X9 if you have widescreens in any other rooms. It also will transmit your remote signals as well...although I use an RF remote for the HR20, so I can switch channels from anywhere in the house.

Cheaper than mirroring more boxes. Give it a try!

10. grandpaken

grandpaken AllStar

Feb 4, 2006
    For the reasons other people already mentioned you might be happier with a 5.8ghz video transfer system. I've seen some pretty good reviews for the AVS5811 RF Link but it runs about $120 for the transmitter and receiver. It also has an IR repeater built in.
    http://www.rflinkusa.com/

11. loudo

loudo Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Central Maine
    I had one similar and it worked great until I got a 2.4 GHz wireless network and 2.4 GHz telephones. The picture quality was good on mine, but the interference made the picture unwatchable.
    The following interfered with it:
    1. The microwave
    2. The 2.4 GHz wireless phones
    3. My 2.4 GHz wireless network.

The 5.8 GHz models may work better, if you do not have anything that uses 5.8 GHz.

Also if you are in close proximity to a neighbor using either 2.4 or 5.8 it may interfer with your equipment also.

12. MikeR

MikeR Hall Of Fame

Oct 5, 2006
    I'll wait for UWB or Wireless HD devices to become available.

13. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    The wider bandwidth available and 4 channels may ameliorate the competition from say, a 5.8 gig cordless phone, but I sure wouldn't want to invest in one without being dead sure they won't suffer from the same problems as the 2.4 gig models did/do. I only have one 5.8 gig cordless phone system in the house, but I would be very wary that it would suffer the same problems (and cause the same problems) as the 2.4 gig system did.

I will say, the video quality of the 2.4 gig system was outstanding....when it wasn't getting killed by my wifi stuff.

14. BNUMM

BNUMM Hall Of Fame

Dec 23, 2006
    I have used the ones from X10 and they work fine if you use the A/V (composite) outputs and not the Coax outputs. Some times you will get interference from Microwave ovens.

15. lionsfan

lionsfan Mentor

Jan 19, 2007
    I have the RF Link 5.8 gig system. Works real good, minimal interference when using 5.8 gig phone. transmitter in bedroom, reciever in kitchen, no problem when microwave is on. Did take a little time to set up on right channel and tweek the antennas to the right position.

16. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Yep, the wireless transmitters @ 2.4 especially can be a PITA. That said, I still have one in use over a fairly short distance to a seldom-used SD TV. I don't use 2.4 Ghz phones, but have been able to select a channel on the wireless A/V transmitter and my wireless G router so that they coexist fine. My microwave is far enough out of the signal path that it doesn't interfere.

Still, 5.8 is probably better in a home with wireless networking (and w/o 5.8Ghz phones), and running cable is of course the best option always.

17. BillyBob_jcv

BillyBob_jcv Legend

Feb 11, 2006
    Couldn't you also use a slingbox and a PC or laptop at the second location? Not a super cheap solution, but it would avoid the network interference issues - and they do have HD-capable slingboxes.

18. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    You may want to wait and see if Slingbox releases their Slingcatcher. You could then transfer the signal over a wireless or wired IP network to your tv.

19. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Sure it is possible, but may not be all that desirable depending upon the location and intended use (although the upcoming SlingCatcher might be a good option for a regular TV).

Also, note that "HD capable" really only means it accepts a component input -- it is still putting out SD (albeit possibly with slightly better quality).

20. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Agreed, my slingbox puts out pristine video over the LAN but it's still 640x480. Coming from an HD source, it's superior to regular SD in perceived quality but not resolution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.