1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone using a 1TB drive with an Antec MX-1 enclosure?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by DubMarc, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DubMarc

DubMarc Cool Member

Feb 11, 2007
    I thought that I'd seen a WD 1TB drive + Antec MX-1 enclosure mentioned here, and I found a decent price on both (WD10000CSRTL for $279.99 at BB, and Antec MX-1 for $39.99 at CC).

However, I was looking at Antec's website just now, and they said that it supports up to 750GB. I went back to search, but couldn't find a reference for 1TB in the Antec enclosure.

I would be OK with exchanging either component, but if it will work, I'd just as soon keep this combination. Thought I would see if I could get someone's experience before I either try it or return something. Thanks!

2. DubMarc

DubMarc Cool Member

Feb 11, 2007
    I'll answer my own question with an answer I found after more digging on the Antec site: "Note: MX-1 was released before 1TB hard drives were widely available. As such early reviews of the MX-1 mention MX-1 supporting up to 750GB as those were the largest hard drives available at the time the reviews were conducted. MX-1 does indeed support 1 TB hard drives."

3. V'ger

V'ger Icon

Oct 3, 2007
    I just received a Hitachi 1 TB drive today and put it in my MX-1. Looking at the circuit board, there appears to be no integrated circuits on it. I think it just passes the SATA to the external eSata connector. So as long as the HR20 understands it, it will work fine.

It is working great with my new drive. I was surprised to see that after reboot, all PPV history, scheduled recordings were missing.

V'ger

4. flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    There are circuits on the MX-1, because it has USB 2.0 output too.

The 1TB drive will work fine. I would recommend putting a jumper on it to knock it down to SATA 1 (1.5GB/sec), as SATA 2 (3GB/sec) won't work properly through the MX-1 case. Note that this isn't an issue with the HR20 itself, as it doesn't attempt to go 3.0GB/sec, but if you ever attach the drive to your PC in the MX-1 (and you should, so you can enable AAM and make it silent), it will likely screw up unless you put the jumper on.

5. BruceS

BruceS Icon

Sep 23, 2006
    Albany, NY
    The HR20-700 does not use the internal drive when an external drive is connected.

This is why you need to re-enter your scheduled recordings when you attach the external drive. This is different than a Tivo based receiver, which uses both the internal drive and the external one.

The scheduled drives, PTV history and previous recordings on the internal drive are not lost. If you remove the external drive, you can then view the ones from the internal drive again. You are then supposed to be able to re-attach the external drive and then see just the ones on the external one again.

6. TWJR

TWJR Mentor

May 17, 2007
    I've been running this exact setup for the past week. Everything is great. The HR20 saw it on the first boot and it seems to run fairly cool. It is very quiet.

7. 66stang351

66stang351 New Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Yes, it works fine. I am using that exact setup right now.

8. DubMarc

DubMarc Cool Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Thanks for the reassurances :). For those of you up and running, did you all connect to a PC first in order to enable AAM, as flippityfloppity suggests?

9. TWJR

TWJR Mentor

May 17, 2007
    Nope; and noise isn't an issue.

10. jonmon

jonmon New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    I'm running this exact setup. Can't be happier with it. Been using it with my HR20-700 for two weeks now without any problems.

11. kakster

kakster Mentor

Feb 9, 2007
    Does the enclosure come with the cable? If not, where did you get the cable to attach to the HR20?

12. bmacaluso

bmacaluso Cool Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I am using the exact setup you are talking about. Bought both WD 1TB drive and Antec MX-1 case at BB a couple weeks ago. I did not use the jumper setting the other fellow describes, but I've only used this on my HR20 and not any computers. It is super quiet and runs cool to the touch. The MX-1 came with the cable that plugs into the drive on one end and the HR20 on the other. I put the drive in the Antec case and plugged it into the HR20. then I turned on the drive, then I turned on the HR20. It took a little while to boot and setup the drive, but it worked first time, and hasen't missed a beat. I think it's a great system. Good luck.

13. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    Well, it took me a week to watch everything (except 4 episodes of Moonlight) on one of the HR20's so I took the plunge today and went with this exact setup purchased from those same stores. I actually bought a second case for the other HR20 in the family room once I finish watching everything stored on it.

14. drx792

drx792 Icon

Feb 27, 2007
    hmm quick question on the eSATA drives. Can you hook them up to a PC to defragment them?? or will this pose a problem?

15. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    You can hook it up to your pc if you want, but it will just erase everything on the drive, so in essence it will do the defrag. But seriously, the OS in Linux based, and uses a file system like ext3 with block allocation sizes where defragging isnt really an issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.