1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone using Hava with Directv?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Grentz, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Feb 7, 2009 #1 of 58
    Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Anyone using one of the Hava devices with their Directv service?

I am looking at getting the Platinum HD to record things from my HR22 and convert some VHS tapes to DVD and curious if anyone has any comments? Also curious, does anyone know if they have a Directv remote skin or do you just have to use a generic remote skin?

I know they do not do actual HD streaming, but the quality looks very good and like it would be perfect for converting VHS tapes and recording some quick things off TV.

http://www.myhava.com/

2. Feb 7, 2009 #2 of 58
    Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    I have one and it works fine. You can record the HR2x content into an MPEG2 format that looks pretty decent.

They have a remote command set but the skin is a Tivo peanut remote.

3. Feb 7, 2009 #3 of 58
    Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Cool, thanks for the feedback.

Is the recorded video close to DVD Quality or what would you say? If it is like youtube quality I would not be very happy for example...

I want to convert some VHS tapes that are not amazing by any means in the quality department, but I want to salvage as much quality as I can. Not going to spend a fortune to get the absolute BEST, but if the hava record looks pretty darn good I think it would work fine.

4. Feb 7, 2009 #4 of 58
    MountainMan10

MountainMan10 Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    I have one and I would say the quality is about the same as DVD. I have numerous movies archived onto a hard drive. It also works well remotely. The latest software version greatly improved the quality of the remote playing. I have it connected to the component output of my HR21. It handles 480p, 720p and 1080i. All record at 720x480.
    The quality is better than Netflix watch it now or Amazon unbox. Definitely better than VHS quality.

BTW: you can select a different remote skin. There is a menu at the top of the remote window.

5. Feb 7, 2009 #5 of 58
    Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Awesome, I think I might pick one up then. For around $100 it seems like a great deal, especially in comparison with slingbox where you cannot do the recording aspect (which is really my main reason for buying it ;) )

6. Feb 7, 2009 #6 of 58
    MountainMan10

MountainMan10 Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    Just want to clarify my post. The local/recording quality is better than Netflix or Amazon. The remote viewing isn't quite as good as it is limited by your upload speed which is typically about 750 to 850kb for most DSL users.

7. Feb 7, 2009 #7 of 58
    Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Ya my upload is not great (at around 500k), but remote viewing is not a big priority for me and probably will not be used that much. Local network viewing and recording is the main thing I am looking at it for.

8. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Well I just snagged a platinum HD on ebay. Will let you guys know how it works out with Directv and converting VHS tapes ;)

9. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    wow, this looks like a pretty cool device. i think i may pick one up as well.....

10. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    For around $100 not much can beat it from what I can tell.

I love the aspect of the recording features as well, that is what really sold me ;)

11. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    yeah, i want to use the recording capability. i already have a slingbox pro.
    provantage.com has this for $102

12. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I nabbed mine on ebay for a bit less, but it was used. $102 (+ a couple bucks shipping) is not bad at all, especially since they MSRP for $149.

The insane thing is the capture cards I was looking at were the same price or more. I do not necessarily have a huge need for the internet video, by why not if it is the same price. Plus a good alternative to Directv2PC for scheduling stuff and deleting/etc from my computer.

13. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Well I got it yesterday and promptly set it up with a VCR to do recording like I planned.

Setup went smoothly on all my machines except for my main desktop where I really wanted to use it. The setup app kept freezing and was not able to discover it. Odd as it is a Vista x64 machine as my laptop is as well which it worked fine on. After tinkering with it most of the afternoon (and actually reformatting my desktop to a clean install...needed to be done anyways as I wanted to move to Home Premium for Media Center) it turns out the driver for my network card that Asus provided on their website was not the latest one like they said (thx Asus!), got the latest one from another company and it worked great!

The application itself is really nice, everything works really well and the local quality is awesome! Have not tried it over the internet yet. Recording works really well so far that I can tell and is going to be extremely useful for converting my VHS tapes to DVD.

The media center integration is slick as well, it just works. Didnt even have to select the device in the media center setup, it just started working. Have not tried the remote functions yet as I am just using it with a VCR sitting right next to me. There is a bit of a delay of a few seconds, but that was expected.

Very pleased overall, and cannot wait to get all these tapes converted so I can hook it up with my HR22 ;)

(Scary some of the things I am digging up from the past going through old VHS home movies from the 80s :eek: :p )

14. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Other than the trouble that you had with your main computer, it sounds pretty easy. I still havent pulled the trigger yet, but after reading your post, i think i may order one this week.

15. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Yup, nothing to it really. Just plugged it into my network, ran the setup application on my computer (where you choose what input to use, remote info, etc.), and it was good to go.

I am impressed with the remote setup as well. Looks like no port forwarding is required, you just give it a friendly name in the setup which you then put into the client and it seems to find it like magic (must use their servers for negotiation).

Overall the quality is amazing me. It is better than the TV capture card I used to use for doing this type of work, and nicer since it does not slow down my computer at all (since it is really is just saving the file).

16. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    What format are you saving your VHS tapes as?

17. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    The Hava application saves them as MPEG2 (only option).

Then I am going to be using Ulead DVD MovieFactory to put them on DVDs and cut them and such. It is not the best program, but better than many others I have tried and gets the job done ;)

18. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    I just ordered one from buy.com for $79.99 shipped!
    Looks like the slingbox is getting moved:p

19. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    I better like the one I ordered or it's your fault. :lol:

20. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    That is a great deal. I saw that amazon had that price a few months ago but then was back at $107 this past week when I wanted to order.

Found one used for $88, but new for $80 is even better!