1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone with MLB EI and Sports Pack..

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by pdxsam, Apr 11, 2009.

1. pdxsam

pdxsam Godfather

Jun 19, 2004
    Are you able to watch games on the RSN's channel v.s. EI channel?

Last season I could record Mets games off SNY (639) because I had EI amd the sports pack.

I'm noticing that I can't do that anymore and I'm wondering if it's just me, or, did D* change things up again.

Thanks,
    Sam

2. dave2344

dave2344 New Member

Apr 30, 2007
    I have the sports pack and EI for the Yanks. No problems on my end. I've been able to record all games on YES so far.

3. ncxcstud

ncxcstud Icon

Apr 22, 2007
    Yes, you can watch games on the RSN.

I always watch the Rangers games on 676 (or one of the alternates) as opposed to the EI channel in the 700s somewhere...

Did you try watching games today during Fox's broadcasting exclusive time period between 1 and 7? If so, that's why you couldn't watch it...

4. pdxsam

pdxsam Godfather

Jun 19, 2004
    no... Last night's Mets game and today's "after hours" Mets game both failed to record. Then when I tried to tune into the Postgame show it said it was blacked out in my area. This never happened last season.

5. btarheel646

btarheel646 Cool Member

Feb 25, 2009
    I know I caught something strange when they were discussing the Mets game when I was watching a game on thursday I think. They did mention something about the blackout time on Saturday but I thought that they said that they would join the game in progress once the blackout time was over. Do you guys that have both sports pack and EI find it worth it? Cub fan in Nebraska, but if I can get most of the games on the RSN from the sports pack, I doubt that I actually need EI. Just trying to save a few bucks, don't need every game but 3-4 a week between wgn and the rsn would be great.

6. LGM2007

LGM2007 Godfather

Dec 17, 2006
    Maine
    Today's SNY game was blacked out on EI due to FOX rules stating if the first pitch is prior to 7PM it can not be shown no matter when the broadcast starts. As for the original question, yes you can view the game on it's original channel as well as the EI channel. The EI channel is just a mirrored one. I don't know why you would have had a problem last night. I watched it the game on 639.

7. pdxsam

pdxsam Godfather

Jun 19, 2004
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll see what happens with the game in the morning.

8. swyman18

swyman18 Legend

Jan 12, 2009
    pdxsam, where are you located? Since the Mets are playing the Marlin's, then if you are in the Marlin's home territory, then the SNY feed will be blacked out for you. That applies to the game on friday and sunday... Saturday is because of the whole FOX thing.

9. colebert

colebert Legend

Aug 19, 2007
    Yes, you can record games directly off the RSN channel rather than the EI channel, which of course is just a mapping back to the RSN channel anyway.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that if you live in an area with more than 1 home team, DirecTV only gives you one RSN by default (and it's their choice.) For example, here we are in Astros, Rangers, Cardinals, and Royals territory which is FS:SW and FS:MW. We get FS:SW w/o sportspack but not FS:MW. I ordered EI w/o sportspack last year and both home & away feeds for the cardinals were blacked out until I bought sports pack. And even then I only got the home feed.

10. pdxsam

pdxsam Godfather

Jun 19, 2004
    I'm in NorthWest Oregon, so the only team that's home for me is the Mariners 200 miles away.

Turns out the EI package was never added to my account and that's probably why I'm having issues. Tomorrow will tell.

11. DodgerKing

DodgerKing Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2008
    Even without the sports pack, you can still watch the EI games on the actual RSN as well.

12. brucegrr

brucegrr Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Ney, Ohio
    This isn't true in all markets.

I live in NW Ohio and receive Cincinnati AND Detroit as my Local RSN. As a subscriber to Choice Plus I also receive the Cleveland (Sports Time) RSN.

Bruce

13. skizer

skizer AllStar

May 16, 2004
    And not true in Indy either....as I get FSNMW - Blues / Pacers, FSN - OH (Cin) - Reds and Comcast Chicago - Cubs / Chi Sox.

14. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    Not true. Northern Iowa has FSN North and Comcast Sports Chicago in their base packages and Western Iowa has FSN Midwest/KC & Comcast Sports Chicago in their base packages.

15. Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    Really! Shouldn't Des Moines then have RSTV, Comcast Chicago, FS North, FS Milwaukee and FS Midwest since we are in all those market areas?

16. kkl

kkl Mentor

Feb 11, 2007
    But can you record the game on the RSN? My "all channels" guide for the 600# channels shows a mixture of mostly greyed-out and some 'subscribed' channels, even for RSNs far away. Last night, I was able to watch a game on a greyed-out channel, but couldn't record it because I received an error message that I wasn't subscribed to it. I would like to record my favorite team's HD broadcast automatically, but don't know how to do it reliably.