1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyway to restore something that was deleted?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by unsub, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unsub

unsub Legend

Dec 27, 2004
    I don't think so, but it would be a good idea if deleted items would be placed in a recycle bin which would then be permanently deleted in say 24 hours, just in case someone makes a mistake. I haven't yet turned off my receiver, so if there is any way to get something back, please let me know here asap, thanks.

2. Blitz68

Blitz68 Hall Of Fame

Apr 19, 2006
    If your dvr is hacked...yes you can undelete.

3. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006
    Not with the R-15, maybe with the DirecTiVos.

4. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    I don't think anyone has publicly stated the the R15 has been hacked, yet. Given a period of time no software is immune to hacking.

That said, even on unhacked DirecTiVos there is a way that sometimes works (as long as the recording deleted was the last show viewed from the NPL). The newest non-DTV TiVos (non-hacked) do have the recycle bin.

No such luck with the R15 today, however. I'd say add that suggestion into one of the many "features I'd like to see" threads that are around here quite a bit. A feature that would make many folks pleased I would guess.

5. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    I agree it would be a good add to the unit. I know I have deleted things a few times without meaning to do so.

6. qwerty

qwerty Hall Of Fame

Feb 19, 2006
    Weaknees was offering a $25K reward for an R15 hack that would enable a larger drive. They've since removed that offer from their website. I'm sure if there were any hacks for the R15, we'd have heard about them here at DBSTalk.

7. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    I agree.

Part of me also thinks that the NDS/News Corp/DTV alliance may care more (i.e., "don't hack, don't talk about hacking, and don't do anything to promote hacking") than TiVo does. I'd be curious if Weeknees ever received any communication from Rupert's group. Granted this is simply pure speculation, and by hacking I DO NOT mean anything remotely related to signal theft.

OTOH, the sky+ users have gone so far as to copy decoded shows from their version of the NDS DVR to PC harddrives. Now that is really pushing the envelope of what most corporate families would deem acceptable with all of the copyright issues involved.

To get back on topic, I think we all agree that the R15 does not now, nor ever had, any type of undelete function. Again, it certainly would be a "user friendly" option for the R15. No where near the top of the list of wants, but a decent function for DTV to consider.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.