1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apartment mgmt got me...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by tpayne105, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tpayne105

tpayne105 Legend

Aug 28, 2006
    Ok I get the yearly warning about having to move my dish from its present location. It is on my balcony...I have the new HD dish, slimline, and am getting great signals (upper 80s, lower 90s). The catch is that it does hang over the balcony railing (to be honest almost all of it does, including the dish itself). I was told if it is not corrected, they will actually remove the dish....

I guess they CAN do that since it is in the rules that it cannot hang over the railing. It just frustrates me to no end because I THINK it is going to be difficult to receive much, if any, signal with it pulled back because of the overhang above the balcony.

Granted, the installer was amazed it received as strong a signal as it does get now when he installed it last July.

Can the apartment mgmt actually physically remove the dish? Just so frustrated...our complex does not offer the HD variety.

I am hoping to move in January but still....any hope for me here?

Thanks

Todd

2. michaelyork29

michaelyork29 Godfather

Jun 22, 2007
    If it states in the contract that you signed for the apartment that they can remove it themselves, then you are out of luck. Otherwise, you should be okay...I think... :)

3. L2BENGTREK

L2BENGTREK Godfather

May 31, 2006
    I would say probably not. Most apartment complexes that don't allow dishes to be put in common areas or on the building itself will say that it has to be "in the confines of your patio" Inside the railing, not hanging out. Been there, done that...Never again!

4. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    It really depends how badly your apt complex wants to fight it. Where I used to live the guy had his dish bolted to the outside of his windowsill for years and nobody complained.

5. JFHughes08088

JFHughes08088 Godfather

Mar 24, 2007
    unless your dish points straight up (which in Dallas it might), you should still be able to get line of sight.

6. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    From what i have read about these issues here that come up from time to time, they very much can remove it. It must be within your spaces/confines as previously mentioned. If you can pull it in and not hang over the railing then they can't touch it.

7. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I wonder if it was put on a non-pen mount like the NPR6a so that it's 1) not attached to the balcony and 2) inside the "private" area, if the LNB & LNB arm could extend past the balcony.

My guess is they don't want anything to break, fall and squash someone below.

8. BNUMM

BNUMM Hall Of Fame

Dec 23, 2006
    If the balcony is your controlled area and it is not a safety issue or historical preservation issue, then there is little they can do. http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard
    The above link is where you can get a copy of the regulation. Usually when I give this to a customer to show to apartment managers and condo associations, the managers and associations back down.

9. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Any chance you can respond with a picture of your installation and the dish hanging over the railing? A few from outside looking in from the ground level of the whole balcony?

The hanging over part may be where they get around the OTARD rules but with pics, lots of good folks here might suggest ways to get it futher inside.

10. Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    Put a string on the bottom arm (LNB arm) of the slimline dish center string and level it with the arm.

Now pull the string straight back behind the dish, The moved dish should work if the arm is at the level of the string you just pulled back.

Matt

11. cartrivision

cartrivision Hall Of Fame

Jul 25, 2007
    Unless the dish is actually hanging below the top of the balcony railing, it's almost a certainty that you can simply place it farther back and a bit lower to clear any overhang above you.

12. tpayne105

tpayne105 Legend

Aug 28, 2006
    I will get a pic up tomorrow...it is now dark...

Thanks for all those replies. I did wonder if I could pull it back and lower it some....I know hard to picture unless you can see it...

13. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    You CAN pull it back and lower it SOME. The beam that hiys the dish arrives between the tip of the LNB and the bottom of the dish at the angle selected on the side elevation setting. Turn on your signal meter and move the thing back. When you get the mast plumb you will get a signal..play with it. Then figure a way to secure the mast in the new position.

Joe

14. C-Note76

C-Note76 Cool Member

Oct 19, 2007
    I too, used to live in an apartment.... what I did, bought a fence post, concrete, one stick of rebar (??) and a 5 gal bucket, put the concrete in the bucket, with the fence post and the rebar going horizontal... through the post, to the edge of the bucket on each side (this so it couldn't be pulled out of the concrete easily... wet the concrete and let'er dry... mounted the dish on top, never had a problem.... unless it was super windy ( i faced the south/west).... then it just took a minor tweak.... worked great for 7 years... now i've graduated to a house and no longer need the bucket.... they also make tripods at radio shack if you want to go that route.......

15. Rich_SC

Rich_SC New Member

Oct 1, 2007
    Also couldn't you get some sort of fabric cover that would hide the sat but still let the signal through...thought they made this for the larger C band dishes.

16. Annihilator31

Annihilator31 Legend

Nov 21, 2006
    Change the locks so they can't get in!!

Besides, who owns the airspace that your dish is using out side your balcony?

17. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    Generally, you're not allowed to have the dish hang into a "common area", which anything beyond the balcony almost certainly would be. And, beyond that, if there's a walkway or patio below, then the association can cite safety concerns and are within their rights to ask you to remove the dish.

As has been noted before - when I lived in an apartment, I mounted the dish as low as I possibly could - which in my case left the top of the dish only about 8" above the balcony - a mostly western facing balcony (ever so slightly southwest)... the dish was basically pointing parallel to my balcony and I could get it really low. My apartment manager didn't want dishes in the complex, even though I knew she couldn't prohibit them, hence the extremely low installation. I put some planter boxes on the railing of the balcony, and the dish was 99% hidden from view. It was up for several years before she realized it was up there!

So I would imagine you should be able to get the dish inside the balcony and still see the satellites.

18. tpayne105

tpayne105 Legend

Aug 28, 2006
    I have some pictures for you to look at:

Thanks

Attached Files:

19. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    Yeah, that's kinda hangin' out there. Just by looking, though, I'll bet you can still get a signal if it was back and down. If you will be able to do so without interfering with your balcony door may be the issue. Good luck.

20. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    If it wasn't for your roof overhang you could probably pull everything further inside your balcony so that it didn't stick out so far. Have you tried pulling it in to see where you begin to lose signals? Of course, moving the dish setup and realigning everything can be tricky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.