1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple gives up trying to make other phones look bad, pulls testing page.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by BubblePuppy, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Aug 1, 2010 #1 of 10
    BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    http://www.androidcentral.com/apple...r-phones-look-bad-pulls-testing-page#comments

2. Aug 1, 2010 #2 of 10
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Perhaps because even when handled properly, the new iPhone doesn't meet or exceed the performance of the older iPhones.

3. Aug 1, 2010 #3 of 10
    dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    As an OWNER of two iPhone 4s, I never had any problem with the antenna or dropped calls - whether on my microcell or 3G. The first thing we did was buy cases for them. (which is also what we did when we got the 3Gs).

The WiFi is substantially better. Several locations that I barely had connectivity with the 3G now easily get several bars and faster speeds.

In an article on NPR last week - the inventor of the cell phone was on the panel, most concluded the antenna problem was more a combination of the coverage and location.

4. Aug 1, 2010 #4 of 10
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Is this a function of the reception actually being better, or are we going to find out that Apple's Ethernet signal readings are exaggerated ("showing too many bars") as well?

5. Aug 1, 2010 #5 of 10
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Apple either made a design goof OR knew about it and marketing pushed it through because the design was "pretty"... either way, they should own it and move forward.

That said... I found it interesting that some criticized Apple for pointing out similar flaws in their competition. Their competition does that too... pointing out flaws in Apple. Consider all those "Droid does it, iPhone doesn't" ads just to name one.

Companies routinely (consider all the Dish vs DirecTV discussions on this very forum) compare themselves to their competitors and point out flaws... sometimes even exaggerating either the flaw OR their own features in the process.

I don't like it... but it's not like Apple did something that virtually every other cellphone company hasn't or wouldn't do themselves, especially if faced with the same scenario.

This is like the discussion I have had over and over with people most of my life... it goes something like this:

Others: You expect people to be perfect. People aren't perfect.

Me: No, I don't expect or even want perfection. I just ask people to be honest about their faults and consider that some faults are mistakes while others are purposeful decisions based on risk/reward analysis.

Others: People aren't perfect. You want them to be perfect.

Me: Sigh... no I donut.

Others: Hey! You made a mistake.. you said "donut" instead of "don't". Haha, you are wrong!!!!!

Me: Yes, remember when I said I don't expect perfection? I never said I was perfect either. So why do you now want me to be perfect all of a sudden when you just ranted about how people aren't perfect?

And so on... I find that people want to criticize others for mistakes but not own their own. IF they are mistaken it is ok because nobody is perfect... but then those same people are quick to pile on someone else's mistake... even someone who never said perfection existed in the first place.

6. Aug 1, 2010 #6 of 10
    Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    iPhone 4; issues not have.... if using the force....

[​IMG]

7. Aug 1, 2010 #7 of 10
    lflorack

lflorack Godfather

Dec 16, 2006
    Although I agree for the most part, the difference I see here is that:
    • Jobs made an ass of himself and was an embarrassment to Apple when he tried to convince us that there really is no problem with his latest creation -- all evidence to the contrary be damned. and oh, by the way, 'How dare we question anything I do....'
    • and then he pulled the, 'well everybody's phone does the same thing' crap

Although it's normal to do comparisons between competing products and companies, it's not something that's normally done to defend your flawed product -- while it's currently under attack. To many, it seemed that Jobs was acting like a little kid making excuses for doing something wrong, 'because everyone does it.'

As you said, Apple and Jobs "should own it and move forward".

8. Aug 1, 2010 #8 of 10
    dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Nope, the speedtest was twice as fast.

How's your iPhone 4 doing?

9. Aug 2, 2010 #9 of 10
    Lincoln6Echo

Lincoln6Echo Godfather

Jul 11, 2007
    A sense of humor, you have.

10. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Agreed. I should have been more clear on that probably... I agree with you in that area. Steve should have owned the problem up front, and then it would be fine to point out that competitors have the same problems... It is the sequence that makes it a bit more damning.