1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple releases iOs 4.3 for iPhone/iPad

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Stewart Vernon, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Nobody talking about this yet?

It doesn't work for the older-than-3Gs phones... and similar older generation iPod touch... but for everyone else, there's at least one really cool feature.

You can now stream from your iTunes library via Wifi to your iPhone or iPad.

So... you only have to load up your device with songs/videos that you need when outside the home... You can leave a lot of your library on your computer and stream from there while on your home network.

I tried earlier with my iPad and it works pretty well... I like not having to load my iPad up with movie files just to watch them and delete them afterwards... now I can just leave my iTunes running and watch on the iPad whenever the whim strikes.

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    We don't synch our iPads except to update the OS. So glad you posted this. Will synch both tomorrow.

3. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Make sure you've updated your iTunes software, if you haven't already... The latest Mac version is 10.2.1 (I don't know what the latest PC version is)...

I'm pretty sure that older iTunes won't recognize or let you see the iOS 4.3 firmware availability.

I learned that the hard way last time there was a major update... not that it caused any problems... but I had tried to get ahead of myself and wondered why iTunes wasn't showing me the new firmware that I knew was available... and then realized I had to update iTunes first.

4. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    On it right now... thanks Stewart.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Got it now, and I suppose I'd be more excited about iTunes home sharing if I had a million songs. Realistically I already have as many songs as I need on the iPhone.

On the other hand I am seeing a very real increase in Safari performance.

6. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I wonder if this will work off a Time Capsule without iTunes running?

7. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I forgot about the Safari improvements... I knew I was forgetting something else of value!

I agree on the songs front... but if you have a lot of audiobooks or podcasts, those might be convenient to access via streaming...

Also, especially for my iPad, being able to stream those large movie files helps me keep space on my 16GB iPad.

I don't have a Time Capsule to try that... it would be a good bonus if that worked.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  9. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I generally update anyway... but I had been paying attention to MacRumors and saw the note a few days ago about iTunes 10.2 (and then 10.2.1 the next day)... so I was ready and waiting for the new iOs.

On a related note...

My iPad seems to be running slower, at least in some apps.

The Sandslides game, for example, almost seems to be playing in slow-motion for me since the firmware update.

Anyone else have similar slowdown issues?

10. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    I updated to latest iTunes, still cannot load 4.3. My iPhone 4 is connected to iTunes, when I hit update, iTunes states I have the latest OS installed.

My iPhone 4 is a Verizon phone, does 4.3 work with Verizon?

11. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
  12. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    You already found the answer... but in case anyone else wonders, and since I wasn't fast enough to reply before you discovered yourself...

I think the Verizon phones come with 4.2.6, which has some of the features of 4.3 already.. but not all.

Last I read, 4.3 was not going to be available for the Verizon models.

I would assume at some point we would have a unified code-base... maybe a 4.3.x firmware at some point that will work for both models.