1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Apple TV adds HBO Go and WatchESPN to its ranks

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by Athlon646464, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Apple TV adds HBO Go and WatchESPN to its ranks

Apple today announced that two more entertainment options will be hitting its set-top offering. HBO Go and WatchESPN have been added to the Apple TV lineup, along with Sky News, Crunchyroll and Qello, joining the ranks of Hulu Plus, Netflix and sports from the MLB, NBA and NHL. Apple also used the opportunity to talk up some download numbers, revealing that iTunes users have downloaded one billion TV episodes and 380 million movies. At present, more than 800,000 episodes and 350,000 movies are purchased per day.

Of course, as with all things related to TV and the Internet, there is a bit of fine print that will trip up some pay TV subscribers. For now, the HBO Go app won’t be available to DirecTV or Charter subscribers, and the ESPN app won’t be available to Dish or DirecTV subs. Chalk that up to the fact that “TV Everywhere” still isn’t, because of legal/biz dev/technical issues that take way too long to sort out.

Full Story Here - And Here

[​IMG]

2. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Getting real tired of this game that this service has this but that one doesn't. Especially since I can use HBO Go on my IOS devices with DIRECTV but the gods decided that not with Apple TV, probably just so they can get their $6/month for a STB lease fee.

3. tulanejosh

tulanejosh Godfather

May 23, 2008
    Yeah Im confused why Apple TV is different than every other device that supports HBO GO, including iPads / iPhones, Android Mobile devices, and Xbox 360 - all of which support HBO GO access for Directv subscribers.

4. likegadgets

likegadgets Mentor

Dec 28, 2005
    I suspect it is, as with Roku, a great and simple experience that DirecTV would prefer their customers do not experience or grow accustomed to. If more services were to be sold without a cable or SAT package, for example if HBO should eventually sell HBO to GO a la carte, it endangers DirecTV.
    No need for satellite wiring, no need for DVR, no need for monthly fees - just good bandwidth and a tiny black box.

5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    , no need for monthly fees - just good bandwidth and a tiny black box.

Wouldn't you paid a monthly fee to HBO even if it was offered a la carte?

6. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    I believe it will be available tomorrow.

1 person likes this.
  7. Sixto

Sixto DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    Thanks SR. I got ESPN working on the Apple TV with my FiOS account, but couldn't do the same with HBO. Looking forward to playing with that tomorrow once the DirecTV connection is working. Good stuff.

8. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    HBOgo has The Directv option available now. ESPN doesn't. I'm not sure if satracer was referring to ESPN also.

9. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I'm assuming not.

ESPN has stated themselves that they are not signing new deals just for ESPN streaming. They will only sign deals for it as part of a deal for the companies to carry their regular channels. So DirecTV would either have to give up their current contract with ESPN and sign a new one early to get it added, or just wait until their current contract expires and get it when they sign the new one. My guess is that they are probably paying ESPN quite a bit less now under their current contract than they will be when they sign a new one, so it probably doesn't make a lot of sense for DirecTV to break their contract early just to get ESPN streaming.

I think someone posted in one of the other threads that the current contract for ESPN may run out next year though.

10. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    Just HBO Go.

11. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Too bad HBO Go wasn't available at launch yesterday, or at least there was a PR saying it would be coming. That would have help to prevent all the bad press/comments that were out yesterday because DIRECTV was missing.

12. Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia Legend

May 10, 2010
    That begs the question, why yes to Apple TV and no to Roku? Aren't they basically the same thing from Directv's point of view?

edit:

Found this

Shortly before 8 PM Pacific Time, the DIRECTVService Twitter account tweeted "DirecTV customers will soon be able to access HBO Go content through Apple TV." This comes after a day where the satellite service received numerous complaints over Twitter.

So maybe it's as simple as Apple TV owners being more numerous and/or vocal?

13. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    That begs the question, why yes to Apple TV and no to Roku? Aren't they basically the same thing from Directv's point of view?

edit:

Found this

Shortly before 8 PM Pacific Time, the DIRECTVService Twitter account tweeted "DirecTV customers will soon be able to access HBO Go content through Apple TV." This comes after a day where the satellite service received numerous complaints over Twitter.

So maybe it's as simple as Apple TV owners being more numerous and/or vocal?

I dont think there are more Apple TVs than Roku outhere.

14. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Just as Satelliteracer said!

DirecTV Authenticates HBO Go on Apple TV

Charter remains only HBO pay-TV affiliate not supporting HBO Go on Apple TV

And then there was one.

As of mid-day Thursday, Charter Communications remained the only current HBO pay TV affiliate with TV Everywhere rights that had yet to support authentication of the HBO GO app on the Apple TV box.

DirecTV was not among the initial group of operators supporting HBO GO on the popular streaming video device, but an HBO spokeswoman said via email Thursday that the satellite TV service provider is now authenticating the premium programmer's TV Everywhere app on the Apple TV. A DirecTV spokeswoman confirmed that the company launched authentication of HBO for the device on Thursday morning.

Full Story Here

15. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Agree, but I think the exclamation point indicates surprise where there should be none.

just sayin'.

16. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    ^^^ :hurah:

It was meant as 'excitement' rather than 'surprise'. No one should ever be surprised when what he says will happen happens.

17. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Cool. I'm down wid dat. :hurah:

Now, wondering why so many of your threads come in duplicates?

18. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    ^^^

In order to get the news story on the Home Page I have to post it in the 'News' section. That post, in turn, points to the actual thread. Both posts show up in the 'latest posts' area.

If in the 'latest' thread area there is a way to turn off posts from the 'News' section you wouldn't see double posts.

Dave may be looking into it.....

19. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Ah, just wondering what was happening- thanks for the expo.

20. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    Nothing for ROKU still?