1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple TV and 96/24 Music

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by wakajawaka, Dec 15, 2011.

1. wakajawaka

wakajawaka Godfather

Sep 27, 2006
    Is Apple Tv 2 capable of passing a 96/24 signal thru HDMI to my receiver or does it downgrade it? I've downloaded a few albums from HDTracks and want to know if Im getting the highest quality I can.

2. wakajawaka

wakajawaka Godfather

Sep 27, 2006
    Just a little more information about my setup. I have iTunes running on my iMac connected to my Apple TV via wired ethernet. My Apple TV is connected to my Onkyo receiver with HDMI and my Onkyo passes the HDMI to my tv (It does HDMI switching). My Onkyo is capable of decoding 96khz/24 bit PCM (as well as DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD). I have downloaded some hi-res audio from HDTracks (96/24 FLAC) which I converted to Apple Lossless and put into iTunes. My only concern is that the Apple TV is resampling the signal into something lower (48/16?) and then passing that to my Onkyo. I know there is an option in the Apple TV to set the audio out to 16 bit or Auto, but not sure what the Auto is doing. Ideally what I want is for the Apple TV to just pass thru the signal directly to my Onkyo to get the full resolution. Any help is appreciated.