1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Apple TV update brings apps for Disney, the Smithsonian, Vevo and The Weather Channel

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by Athlon646464, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Apple TV update brings apps for Disney, the Smithsonian, Vevo and The Weather Channel

Rumors that Apple was about to expand the Apple TV's channel selection have just come true -- the company has quietly rolled out apps for the Disney Channel, Disney XD, the Smithsonian, Vevo and The Weather Channel. The new portals deliver the on-demand video you'd expect from their respective services.

There are live components, however: Vevo fans get non-stop music videos through Vevo TV, while The Weather Channel jumps to live broadcasts during major storms. Any locally supported channels should appear the next time you use your Apple TV, although you'll need to be a qualifying cable or satellite subscriber to run the Disney apps.

Full Story Here

[​IMG]
    Engadget

2. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    In addition, the Netflix app is updated to include Profiles so different users under the same account can keep their lists separate. To do this you have to go to the Netflix website and set up Profiles for each person. When the Apple TV Netflix app is opened, you'll be asked to choose a profile. To switch profiles at other times, press the Menu button until presented with the Profiles list.

I also just found out you can move or disable apps.
    To move an app - select it with the remote, hold down the middle button until the icons jiggle (sound familiar), then move the app with the directional arrows on the circle
    To disable an app - open Settings->General->Parental Controls. From there you can enable/disable apps.

3. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I didn't know either of those things, thanks. Where did you find that?

I'll be editing a bit today 'cause too many of those icons represent things that either require a subscription I'm not interested in, or only work if you have something besides Dish or Direct as providers, essentially making them less than worthless to me. :)

4. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    This particular info was in an article on an app I use called ZITE. It's a magazine type app that congregates articles based on your preferences. The Apple TV update article mentoined those things.

5. shaka999

shaka999 Cool Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Too bad DirecTV users can't get the Disney owned channels (Disney and ESPN) using AppleTV. As a customer I really don't care whose at fault I just want them to work things out so I can use the same features a cable customer can.

6. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Well why not a show time app too?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk