1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple vs Directv

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Joe C, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Joe C

Joe C Godfather

Mar 2, 2005
  2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    For being such a "cool Mac and technology guy," and as noted on the article, "a senior scientist and author" he sure is bad at facts and writing. Is multiple references to a HR25 speaks volumes.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I noticed that Costco is now carrying Brand E* instead of Brand D*.

DIRECTV appears dead serious about limiting options.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    As DIRECTV actively seeks to marginalize model numbers it would seem that their not supposed to be particularly important.

The bit about calling the Amazon ad into question is decidedly questionable if he's comparing wrong numbers he "knows" versus the real numbers.

The assumption that an HR25 wouldn't have a conventional Ethernet port probably isn't justified.

5. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    He linked his HR25 reference to a page selling H25 receivers. His whole rant is based on model numbers...he should get them right.

6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Yup, that article is riddled with inaccuracies....

7. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Ain't that the way Apple does business?

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Or maybe DirecTV is getting tired of people walking into a store, getting a receiver then upset when they find they don't own it. There could be a big yellow sticker on all 4 sides, a paper to sign and the voice of James Earl Jones telling you when you open the box. There still would be some that wouldn't notice.

Wonder why he doesn't want to do DECA. If his setup supports an H25, he already has SWM and DECA should be ridiculously easy.

9. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    That would be AWESOME!

10. docderwood

docderwood Mentor

Oct 27, 2006
    Inaccuracies aside, he makes a point that is my biggest complaint: It is too hard to get the receiver model you want from Directv. I know, I know, I can order one from solid signal. What happens when my HR-24 dies.... do they send me a random HR20 even with the replacement plan? Probably.

11. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    He was channeling swami with this one.

12. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    According to some here that work at DirecTV, 24s get replaced with 24s. Take that with a grain of salt.

13. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    While I know it can be hard, but it can also be easy too.
    I had a mover's connection a few weeks back and while the tech was here I asked for my [almost 6 year old] HR20 to be swapped. I got another HR24-500.

14. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Agreed. I found his point about that to be spot on.

I am actually quite happy with DirecTV the last few years and have had rather good installers, good consistency, and solid pricing.

I just am a bit perplexed at why they can't put together some system where we can choose.

15. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    They can, but they won't. I'm not perplexed by that, but I am disappointed.

16. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Is it can't or won't? They have proven that they can send a specific receiver when they want to. There's been more then one posting about someone being promised that their broken HR24 replacement will be an HR24 and that's what they received.

17. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    In another thread, there have been posts about some internal memo to the effect that in the case of a HR24 shooting craps, it will be replaced with a HR24. And from other postings, it appears that is true.

And yes, they can send a particular model, or at least the Ellen F's office can. That was a balking point when I returned to D* and her office sent me my HR24s direct to me and then set up the install, all for free.

18. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    I fall in the group of people that just doesn't give 2 quick squirts about model numbers.

I got my HR23s just before the HR24 was widely available. Comparing my 23 with the HD UI to my son's 24 with the HD UI, I really don't care.

I'm getting whole home and a new DVR tomorrow and I'm hopeful to get a 24, but only because it is going on a wall shelf and I'd appreciate the smaller size. I've had a 23 on the shelf and it works perfectly well, so I really just don't care.

19. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    They might have considered in sending the author of that snippet a block of cheese to go with his whine. ;)

Apparently not immediately finding a specific model DVR was far more traumatic than delays in getting an iPhone5 or iPad3. Our sympathies.

20. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    Typical Apple fanboi rant. Nobody can ever do ANYTHING as good as Apple. Apple TV shouldn't even be compared to an HR device. It's like comparing Apples to a full steak dinner (pardon the pun). They don't even have the same purpose. And the business models of the two companies are completely different. Apple is a hardware company that offers hardware that give you content. DirecTV is a content company that supplies you the hardware (and doesn't even MAKE the hardware) to enjoy that content. Apple would (and has) sold hardware with no content (PCs in and of itself don't supply content, they just give you the means to get content from others. DirecTV wouldn't be in business if it weren't for the content they directly supply you. Hardware to them is a means to an end.

I do agree, that DirecTV should offer an upgrade path, much like other content providers such as cell phone carriers. At the end of your contract, you should be allowed to purchase upgraded equipment if you choose to. But that's not what their business model is about.