1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Apple WWDC 2013 keynote

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by dpeters11, Jun 10, 2013.

1. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'm not going to go into everything. So if new versions of Safari or iWork excite you, that will have to come from someone else.

New OS X is called Mavericks. Sorry Tim, you should have gone with the Sea Lion idea.

New Features spotlighted:
    Finder tabs
    File tags
    Multiple display support (I'm not a Mac user, this is new?)

Others:
    App nap, suspends apps not in use
    OpenGL 4 support
    Inactive apps will be compressed into memory, not to disk
    Release in Fall

New line of MacBook Airs based on Haswell
    9 hours on 11", 12 on 13"
    802.11ac
    Shipping today
    11-inch with 128GB starts at $999. 13-inch with 128GB is $1099.

New Mac Pro
    Very cool looking cylindrical design - but will it be functional or another Cube?
    12 core Xeon 256 bit processor
    PCIe
    Thunderbolt 2
    Dual GPUs - AMD FirePro\
    4k display support
    4 USB 3, 6 Lightning 2 ports
    Assembled in USA
    Ships later this year (no price mentioned)

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    iOS 7

Complete UI overhaul - transparancy, new typography - probably has to be seen
    Sounds like true multitasking is there
    Skeuomorphism is of course gone.

10 features spotlighted:
    Control Center - Swipe to get wifi control, airplane mode etc. This is the one thing I missed about not jailbreaking, I loved SBSettings. Available all the time like on other phones.

Multitasking confirmed - for all apps
    iCloud Keychain support
    Safari controls recede when scrolling down
    AirDrop - share photos with friends. Only on iPhone 5, iPad 4 and mini and current Touch
    Siri male voice is now available, can turn on wifi, bluetooth, etc. Twitter Wikipedia and Bing integrated. Car integration with 16 brands on board from Kia to Ferrari.
    Apps update automatically - this could be bad, depending on the update. Hopefully this means delta updates as well. I'm hoping it has to be manually enabled per app.
    iTunes Radio - streaming music. Free with ads, ad free for iTunes match subscribers
    Activation lock - a lost wiped phone will need the iTunes account username and password to activate
    1500 new APIs

Supports iPhone 4+, iPad 2+, iPad Mini and Touch 5th gen

3. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    So they took the multitasking interface straight from WebOS. I am quite OK with that, as it was an awesome interface.
    I wonder what other developer stuff they have, There were rumors this morning about third party keyboard support but they didn't mention anything like that during they keynote. Of course that could be squeezed somewhere in the developer documentation (and of course developer.apple.com is down as it is being slammed right now)

1 person likes this.
  4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    They took stuff from Blackberry 10 it sounds like as well. I hope the multitasking is good, that is a major sticking point for us not getting a Mobile Device Management server.

5. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    wonder if they will fix the data leakage - specifically the systems ITunes - IPhone service and Apple services, not to mention the problem that the Wi-Fi on the 5 works differently then on previous phones, it actually turns off when hibernating and plugged into the charger

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I'm hoping the Control Center will include Personal Hotspot as well. I did not notice it in the screen capture I saw. I'm also hoping that you can now copy a Calendar appointment. Those two things would make me very happy.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

7. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I do all my calendar event copying on my Mac; just Option drag into a new date. Dunno if it can be done on the iPhone directly or not, but I've no need for the latter.

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I do all my calendar event copying on my Mac; just Option drag into a new date. Dunno if it can be done on the iPhone directly or not, but I've no need for the latter.

Nope. iOS doesn't have the ability to copy Calendar appointments. And since I do a lot of Calendar updates while out and about, even if I had a Mac that wouldn't help me.

- Merg

9. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Nope. iOS doesn't have the ability to copy Calendar appointments. And since I do a lot of Calendar updates while out and about, even if I had a Mac that wouldn't help me.

- Merg

Not sure that iOS is the right term to use, as there are plenty of apps capable of doing this. I used specifically "calendars + Pro"

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Not sure that iOS is the right term to use, as there are plenty of apps capable of doing this. I used specifically "calendars + Pro"

Sorry. I was referring to the stock iOS Calendar.

- Merg

11. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Sorry. I was referring to the stock iOS Calendar.

- Merg

But this is why there are other options on the App Store

12. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA

What's the exact name if the one you use? I found Calendars+, but I don't see how to copy in that one.

- Merg

13. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
  14. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
  15. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Got it. I was pressing and holding on the events too long. I now see the Copy and Delete options.

- Merg

This is by far the best calendar app I have seen. worth the 6 bucks

16. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    for those who want to grab this great app, is free for 48 hours. HURRY