1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Appreciate advise on repair of Pioneer plasma TV

Discussion in 'High Definition Displays' started by marechal_davout, Aug 23, 2013.

1. marechal_davout

marechal_davout Cool Member

Mar 1, 2010
    I own a 50 inch Pioneer plasma TV (PDP5010FD) whose extended warranty expired last November. About a month ago the power to the house was interrupted for a second (no storms ect.) everything came back on except the TV. When I turned the TV on there was no picture instead the on light blinked in 12 blink intervals - later 8 blink intervals. A small window at the bottom of the screen said "Starting up. Please wait". This would stay on for a minute and disappear.
    Called authorized Pioneer repair store who came to the home, diagnosed it as needing a new power circuit which would take a week to fix and cost $400 with a $200 deposit. They took the TV to the shop. After no word for 3 weeks I called them and they said with the power unit they installed the TV stayed on for an hour or two and then turned off. They said the TV needed a new "main" circuit board installed and the total bill would now be $875 and would take two more weeks to fix.
    Two days later they said it was fixed and would deliver it the next day. After they plugged the TV in it would still not come on (not even the two hour window it was supposedly working for) and the on light blinked in 8 pulse increments. Does anyone have any idea what is going on? This place has been in business for many years and I do not think that it has a reputation for ripping people off.

Any advise that you can give me to deal with this situation is appreciated. Thank you.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I had that problem with something else, but I can't remember what it was. Aw, this will drive me nutz (short drive). Somebody help me! I fixate on things like this.

Rich

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    My rule of thumb for repairs to electronics is that it has to be less than 40% of the price of a new one or I will just replace it.
    The cheaper / less expensive an item is might not even warrant a look at it by a shop to see if it can be fixed.
    Lots of times a repair is the start of a multitude of repairs to come in the near future. Whatever damaged that particular failure possibly weakend other items in the unit.

This is a good example / case for having your electronic items like your TV, receiver, AV receiver, Sub woofer, Computer plugged into a UPS.
    My power flashed off for no apparent reason yesterday for about 15 seconds and came right back on. None of my items that were running even blinked.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    stop by at my garage, I'll diagnose it and will tell you what's wrong and will discuss further :)

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I got it! It was a Sony TV.

Rich

7. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    Just now read this post. I remember your post about the weight of that tv. I too had a Sony with the 8 blinks of death, and it was as heavy as a buick. :eek2:
    That was a capacitor issue and it was fixable, but not 100% of the time. Said goodbye, even tho the picture was great, and hello panny.
    Speaking of which, if you are close to the screen [ put your hand about 6 inches away] are any of your panny's emmiting heat? I just noticed this last week, and I'm not sure if that's normal. I know the back has warm spots, I just never paid attention to the front.

chris

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, they all produce some heat from the front. The newer the set, the cooler it runs. I find it quite handy in the winter.

Rich